Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Reading the Dan Wells Trilogy

For the first time since I was in high school, I started and finished reading three books in the same year. Wow! In the last two months, I managed to read The Devil's Only Friend, Over Your Dead Body, and Nothing Left to Lose, all by American author Dan Wells.


It all started a couple of years ago, when I included several book titles in my Christmas wishlist. My friends got me all four books I put in my list, including Nothing to Lose by Dan Wells. Why did I ask for this book? Because I read the blurb on the back cover and was immediately interested.

However, upon reading the wikipedia entry of Dan Wells, I realized that Nothing Left to Lose was the third book of a trilogy. I'm sure I could have still read this book and it would still have made some sense, but I thought I would enjoy it a lot more if I read the first two. So I went to the nearest Fully Booked and got the first two books. Now my set was complete. :)


This Dan Wells trilogy revolves around the protagonist, John Wayne Cleaver, a sociopathic teenager who is employed by the FBI to hunt and kill supernatural beings that have existed for millennia. I have to say, I really enjoyed these books. I think they may be some of my favorite books that I've read. I guess it's because I love stories that take the reader through a thought process that attempts to piece clues together to solve a problem. Of course, solving these problems are never straightforward, and the twists and turns throughout the story add such great elements of surprise and suspense and make for gripping reading.

I've always been a slow reader but as I went through these books, I started reading faster. I guess that's because the closer I got to the end of the trilogy, the more excited I became and the more quickly I wanted to find out how things would turn out. I started out going through about 30 pages an hour but by the end, I was reading almost twice as fast. In fact, I read Nothing Left to Lose in a single day. Cool!

The problem now is that I realized that this trilogy is actually the second trilogy and the end of the John Wayne Cleaver heptalogy - which means there are seven books. What??? I did see this in Dan Well's wikipedia entry but at that time, I thought "John Wayne Cleaver series" indicated the publishing group and not the name of the protagonist LOL. This heptalogy includes a first trilogy, a novelette, and a second trilogy, which is the one I just finished reading. Now, I need to get copies of the other four books.

No comments: