Monday, June 29, 2026

Goodbye, Old Swiss Inn Makati

Old Swiss Inn in Makati has been one of my favorite restaurants in Metro Manila. It's on the pricey side but the food here is really good so I always felt it was good value for money. Before the pandemic, it was open 24/7 so sometimes, I would go there late at night after a very long day of work and reward myself with a great meal before heading home. So when I saw the news that Old Swiss Inn in Makati would be permanently closing on July 1, I made sure I visited one last time.


I went with a couple of my friends and because I was the resident expert, I ordered a couple of my favorite dishes: The Zuri (which used to be called Zurich Geschnetzeltes; I guess they changed the name because it may be a bit intimidating to read and pronounce) and the Peppersteak Swiss Inn, which is a pretty good steak especially for its price point. Of course, this being my final meal here, we also ordered the Walliser Fondue, which has fresh tomatoes and dippers of baby potatoes and assorted vegetables (along with some bread). (The Waatlander Fondue is actually one of their best-sellers but I thought it would be better for us to have baby potatoes that we could dip into the fondue instead of just bread.) We also ordered the Chicken Forrestiere, which I've had before and also enjoyed, so that we would have pork, beef, and chicken. As expected, it was a great meal.


It's quite sad that Old Swiss Inn in Makati will be closing. However, the good news is that they do have a branch in Paco, Manila. Actually, their original branch was in Paco before it closed in the 1980s due to a fire. It's new location will be at the Garden Plaza Hotel and Suites which is close to where it operated decades ago. I do find their Makati location to be a lot more accessible but at least, with the return of Old Swiss Inn to Paco, I will still have the option to enjoy their delicious food in the future.

No comments: