The Sheep Detectives
The Sheep Detectives was such an incredible discovery. I remember seeing a poster of it and not knowing anything about it. Its title made me think initially that it was a kids movie. Soon after that, a post popped up on my social media feed about Sheep Detectives being the best whodunnit movie ever. I thought that was such a bold statement but it made me pay a bit more attention. I looked it up and that was when I started seeing all the rave reviews and its very high 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I decided I had to see it. And boy, was I blown away! I totally didn't expect how the story would flow. While on the surface, it seems like a comedic whodunnit film with a sheep twist, for me, it is so much more than that. It is fun, funny, heartwarming, emotional, moving, and one could say even philosophical. I loved it so much that I told as many of my friends as possible to see it, and those who did agreed with this movie being amazing. Some of them even bawled their eyes out. If you have a chance to see it, please do.
Project Hail Mary
Project Hail Mary was already a huge global box office hit by the time I saw it in the movie theaters so I already knew that people all over the world loved this film. Despite being late to the party, I somehow hadn't been spoiled yet. Now that I've seen it, I agree with the vast majority - it also has a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes - that it's an amazing movie and definitely worth watching! SPOILER ALERT: if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled, skip the rest of this paragraph. Project Hail Mary does an impeccable job at building a beautiful relationship and a powerful connection between Grace and Rocky. So much so that when Rocky sacrifices himself to save Grace and starts disintegrating as he tries to get Grace to safety, audiences were in tears. When Grace discovers that Rocky was in danger of being unable to get back his home planet of Erid, he sends all his findings back to Earth and foregoes his plans of returning himself in order to look for and save Rocky. The thing is, it felt like everyone watching understood his motivation for this choice. The ending was such a feel-good scene and a perfect way to cap off a fantastic film.
Hoppers
Similar to The Sheep Truth be told, I had no idea what Hoppers was about. In fact, I didn't even know this movie existed. However, the moment I found out that it was a Pixar film, I knew I had to see it. What I realized as I was watching was that this movie, to me, is very inventive! Or well, maybe not that inventive, given it's supposed similarity to Avatar in terms of concept haha. I found it really hilarious that the movie itself calls this out, when the lead character Mabel says "guys, this is like Avatar" and Dr. Sam reacts indignantly saying "this is nothing like Avatar!" haha. Hoppers is really witty, enjoyable and, just like practically all other Pixar films, quite moving and heartwarming. SPOILER ALERT: if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled, skip the rest of this paragraph. I loved how the different animal groups have their own kings and queens that convene as an Animal Council. I loved how they activated the Apex predator. And I loved it when King George felt betrayed by Mabel but still eventually sacrifices his kingdom to help her and the humans. There really are so many great things about this movie and I'm glad I got to see it.
The Devil Wears Prada 2
I am such a huge fan of the original Devil Wears Prada, which is an absolute cult classic. So it's not surprising that many people were wary since there was no way it could top the first film, and may end up being quite a disappointment. I understood that sentiment but I still wanted to see how things were in the lives of the lead characters 20 years later. While this second movie did not top the first, it was a really good sequel. The storyline was very relevant and it was very entertaining and interesting to see how the characters have been sort of forced to change with the times while still being the same people they always have been. There were also several nods to the original move I absolutely loved. The Devil Wears Prada 2 has become Meryl Streep's biggest box office hit to date (not adjusted for inflation; if it were, that honor would probably still go to Mamma Mia!) and I'm happy that it did well at the theaters.
Masters of the Universe
I had to see this movie as a fan of He-man and the Masters of the Universe, a popular cartoon from the 1980s. It isn't critically acclaimed for sure but it was a whole lot of fun. It fully embraced being campy and it took audiences along for a wild and entertaining ride. Those of us who watched the animated series in the 80s surely felt very nostalgic, seeing characters like Skeletor, Teela, Man-at-Arms, Evil-Lyn, and Beast Man on the big screen. The usage of the original theme was also pretty awesome, as was the hint about She-Ra in the end credits. Hopefully, that She-Ra movie gets made. It would be really fun, especially if they combine He-Man and She-Ra in one film.

No comments:
Post a Comment