Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Paying Our Respects to Mama Guading

Mama Guading passed away more than a decade ago. Recently, her family decided to move her ashes to the St. Therese Columbarium in Pasay. She had been taking care of my family even before I was born so when we were invited to the ceremony which was scheduled at 130pm on Sunday, we took the time to attend.

Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus

I suggested to my family that we have an early lunch in Makati before going to St. Therese Columbarium. I recommended Grace Park because the parking area of this place was just right in front of the restaurant. Since my grandmother was joining us, this means that she would only need to take a few steps from the car to the restaurant. It was a good choice because no one else in my family had eaten there before and they enjoyed the food. It was also good that we got there at 11am because almost all the unoccupied tables were reserved. We got the last available table and it was just the right size for my family. Our table was also outdoors and thankfully it didn't rain while we were dining.

After lunch, we made our way to the Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus in Newport, Pasay. After going inside the church to take some photos - it was my grandmother's first time there - we headed down to the columbarium area. There we were met by Mama's sister, Yaya Isot, and the rest of her family. There was a lot of catching up and sharing of stories before the priest arrived to begin the ceremony. It wasn't just Mama's ashes that were being moved; the ashes of her niece, who very sadly passed away due to illness, were being moved along with hers (they would be sharing a niche).

I'm glad that my family was able to join the ceremony to pay our respects to Mama Guading. It's also good that she now has a new resting place which I am more familiar with. Hopefully, I can visit her more frequently. Rest in peace, Mama. We love you and we miss you!

No comments: