Friday, June 09, 2023

Revisiting Old Favorites

Recently, I found myself revisiting some of my favorite restaurants that I haven't been to in years. First on my list was Old Swiss Inn, which has been around since 1946. Their Makati branch used to be open 24/7 but since the pandemic, they're opening hours have been adjusted and they now open at 9am and close at 10pm. I had dinner there one night and I ordered the Zurich Geschnetzeltes, which is shredded pork tenderloin in mushroom cream sauce served with roesti potatoes. I really love this dish!

Zurich Geschnetzeltes from Old Swiss Inn

I also got the Zwiebelsuppe, a German onion soup (quite similiar to French onion). It was really good too! This return trip to Old Swiss Inn reminded me how much I love this place so I need to try and visit more often.

Zwiebelsuppe German Onion Soup from Old Swiss Inn

Another favorite is Bizu. While this restaurant is known for its cakes, pastries, and macarons, they also have really good meals. Their 10-hour Roast Beef is exceptionally good. The beef is tender and very flavorful and the potato gratin it is served with is the perfect complement.

10-hour Roast Beef from Bizu

When I was still in school, one of my favorite restaurants was The French Baker, mainly because they offered comfort food at a reasonable price. I had lunch at their SM Megamall branch on the day that I renewed my passport at DFA in Megamall. My go-to dish at this place is their Fettuccine Carbonara so I decided to order it again for old times' sake. There are lots of really good pasta places in Metro Manila but this dish is relatively inexpensive and they serve it really quickly so I still find it to be good value for money.

Fettuccine Carbonara from The French Baker

I used to go to Kitchen's Best a lot many years ago, especially when they had a branch in BGC along 3rd avenue that served savory dishes. (They still have a branch in Bonifacio High Street Central Square but I believe they only sell cakes and other baked goods there.) I visited their branch in Karrivin Plaza along Chino Roces Avenue recently to pick-up a cake I ordered - their Concorde is still really exceptionally good - and to have lunch. I ordered two items on their menu: the 40 Cloves Chicken in Olive Oil and the Wild Mushroom Pasta. I wasn't able to consume everything but I did take my leftovers home so nothing went to waste haha.

40 Cloves Chicken in Olive Oil and Wild Mushroom Pasta from Kitchen's Best

Finally, I had dinner at Causeway. Ideally, the best time to go to Causeway is when they sell their dimsum at 50% off (it differs per branch) but I found myself near Causeway along Timog Avenue one night and I decided to have dinner there, even if I would have to pay full price for dimsum. I got one order each of their Pork Siomai and Beancurd Roll. I also ordered their Asado Rice Roll, which I really love. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of it haha.

Beancurd Roll and Pork Siomai from Causeway

Hopefully, I get to revisit these places again soon. And maybe other restaurants that I also love that I haven't been to in a while.

No comments: