Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Catching up on Disney+, Netflix, and HBO Go

The last few months have been very busy but I still found some time to watch some shows on the different streaming services to which I'm subscribed. One of the shows I was looking forward to the most was White Lotus Season 2 on HBO Go. I really loved the first season so I wanted to see how this next one would turn out. Gotta say, it didn't disappoint. While the theme of the first season involved money, greed, and social inequity, this second season dealt with sex and manipulation. White Lotus' study of the dark side of human nature is really captivating and I continue to be a fan of this show. I am definitely looking forward to season 3.

Also on HBO Go was Everything Everywhere All at Once. I had been interested in this film for a while now, especially since it was getting really good reviews. After its success at the Oscars, I took the time to see it. I gotta say, it's weird and trippy, with scenes that range from the borderline ridiculous to the not-so-easy-to-understand. That said, it is exactly those qualities that make this movie unique and innovative. It also has a lot of heart so I can totally understand why it won the Oscar for Best Picture. Michelle Yeoh also put in a superb performance and fully deserved her Oscar Best Actress award.

Over on Disney+, I finally got to see Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. It was bittersweet how they handled Chadwick Boseman's passing in this film. I found so many elements of this Marvel movie to be really interesting, from the situation that triggered the movie's primary conflict to the backstory of main antagonist and to the emergence of the new Black Panther.

I also watched a couple of animated films on Disney+: Luca and Encanto. While its tempting to think that Luca is just like Little Mermaid but with a male lead, it isn't (or, well, not exactly). It talks about - acceptance of who you are and acceptance of others who are different from us. Encanto, on the other hand, is the story of a family that is receives an enchantment that results in everyone having powers, save for one. It is this twist that provides the conflict in the film, and the protagonist Mirabel Madrigal goes on a journey of discovery that leads to the movie's emotional climax. Of course, in classic Disney style, Encanto is a movie musical. One thing that ties both movies together is their use of the name Bruno. You can read more about this coincidence here.

On Netflix, I watched a couple of light and easy movies that were based on children's books: Firedrake the Silver Dragon and Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile. I decided to see both because I was looking for movies that were light and easy to watch and I felt that these two filled that requirement quite well haha.

Since it's Pride month, I thought it would be a perfect time to watch Filipino film Remington and the Curse of the Zombadings. That's the name it goes by on Netflix but the original Tagalog title is the Zombadings 1: Patayin sa Shokot si Remington, which I think is much more intriguing. This movie tells the story of a man named Remongton who was very homophobic as kid. He teases and verbally abuses someone who turns out to have powers and this person places a curse on him, saying that when he gets older, he himself will become gay. He unexpectedly and slowly shows signs of becoming gay at a time when there seems to be a serial killer of gay men in Lucban, the municipality where he lives. It's funny and entertaining and the revelation of the Zombadings or zombie badings is hilariously outrageous. I gotta say, this movie was really loads of fun.

Still on Netflix, I started watching Cobra Kai. I heard lots of positive reviews about this series and I was a fan of Karate Kid back in the 80s so watching it was a bit of a no-brainer for me to start it. I love the fact that each episode is just about half an hour long, making it quite easy to watch. What I found to be really surprising and interesting is how the antagonist in the first Karate Kid - Johnny Lawrence - becomes a bit sympathetic in the show. Maybe it's because he takes a young kid who is being bullied under his wing. I've gone through several episodes in the first season already and I'm really enjoying it. That said, since I'm not a binge-watcher, it will take me a while to get through the whole series.

I have also finally completed the latest season of 9-1-1, my favorite current series. (I guess it became my favorite because I've become really invested in the personal stories of all the characters). It was one of the shows I was really looking forward to watching when Disney+ became available in the Philippines. Season 6 wrapped up in mid-May and the episodes were shown here about 2 weeks after they came out in the US so I'm now all caught up. I've also been watching The Golden Girls and Code Black, a series I used to watch on one of the channels on Sky Cable. I still have lots of shows on my watch lists on each of these streaming services. Hopefully I can find more time to watch them. And maybe complete Cobra Kai before the end of the year.

No comments: