Tuesday, April 25, 2023

[Throwback] Playa Del Carmen and Xcaret

Playa Del Carmen is a city on the Eastern coast of Mexico. It's less than 60 kilometers away from Cancun. Everyone attending the wedding stayed at one of the RIU hotels in the city (apparently, there are a handful of them!). Amy and John arranged for transport for the entire party (it was a relatively small wedding and everyone fit in one coaster). This meant that we all went from the hotel to the church to the reception and then back to the hotel together. Amy and John asked me if I could help remember all the wedding guests by name and by face - they gave me a few pages with all the guests and their pictures - so that I could ensure that everyone was in the transport before it left. (When I watched the Devil Wears Prada a couple of years later, that scene where Andy and Emily have to memorize the names and faces of all Miranda's guests reminded me of my assignment in Mexico haha.) I gotta say, I think I did pretty well remembering and accounting for everyone since no one was left behind.

Amy and John's wedding reception

The next day, I visited Xcaret Park, a water amusement park in the Riviera Maya not too far from Playa Del Carmen. I learned about this place through a travel brochure I saw at the hotel and I decided I wanted to go.

Xcaret Park

There are several things to do here. There was an underground river that went around the park and guests can get on a large swim ring and just float down the river with the current.

Visitors enjoying the facilities at the park

There is a shallow lagoon that held several sea creatures such as sting rays...

Sting ray

...and turtles.

Guests can see dozens of turtles at the park

Guests can also see lots of marine life through an underwater viewing area.

An ominous-looking barracuda

My most memorable experience in Xcaret Park was getting to swim with dolphins!

You can swim with dolphins at Xcaret Park

In the evening, guests can enjoy a Mexican culture show. It started out with performers simulating an ancient Maya ball game called Pok-ta-pok. This was then followed by a series of cultural performances, including traditional Mexican songs, dances, and music. It was a great show!

Evening entertainment at Xcaret Park

Next post: Chichen Itza

No comments: