Sunday, April 30, 2023

[Throwback] Final Thoughts on my Mexico Trip

My trip to Mexico was the first time I experienced being in very high altitude. Mexico City is 2,240 meters above sea level and when I got there, I actually felt it. I remember sitting in my hotel room and feeling a bit out of breath. I even experienced nose bleeds! Thankfully, it only happened while I was in my room and not when I was out and about.

Artifact on display in Museo Del Templo Mayor

Interesting and quite silly experience on my first night in Mexico. I saw a fast food restaurant near my hotel and decided to order a burger meal. I wanted to order Meal #3 and so when I got to the counter, I asked for "tres" and pointed to meal I wanted to get. It cost a about 40 Mexican pesos but when my bill came, it was more than a hundred. I was a bit shocked by it but didn't complain; I thought maybe I misunderstood the menu. When my order arrived, it became clear why: I had THREE orders of meal #3! Hahaha. I can completely understand why that is how he understood my order. Needless to say, I had burgers and fries until the next day. I do think I have gotten much better at navigating the language barrier since then.

On my way to visit Museo Del Templo Mayor

I have also gotten much better at documenting trips over time. Probably because cameras and phones now can store significantly more photos than they could two decades ago. One of the things I am bummed about is that I didn't take any photos of my hotel or the beach at our hotel. Also, while I took several photos of the wedding guests, I didn't take any decent photos of the church.

The New Basilica of Guadalupe

A great thing about our hotel in Playa Del Carmen is that all food and drinks were included in the room rate. Guests could enjoy a buffet breakfast, lunch, and dinner and the hotel also offered an open bar and people could order alcoholic beverages at any time. Because I spent a full day in Chichen Itza and another day in Xcaret, I only got to enjoy the buffet lunch on the day of the wedding. My drink of choice during that trip: Amaretto Sour.

Swimming in a cenote

I wrote in detail about my horrific experience flying back home from Mexico (read about it here). I kinda want to edit the bad writing in that post but at this point, I can't really be bothered improving it haha. Oh and the photo I still use as my blog profile photo was from this trip.

Teotihuacan


I was still quite young when I took this trip and not as financially stable as I am now. As such, I spent only five days there despite having to travel halfway around the world. If I had to do this trip all over again, I would definitely spend more time there and do more research about places to see. That said, even in the short time I was in Mexico, I did get to visit some of the best and most important places in the country. Hopefully, I get a chance to travel there again the future.

*****

This is the last of my throwback travel posts. I promised myself during the pandemic that I would write about past trips - local and foreign - that I didn't get to write about in this blog (or that happened even before I started this blog). I can't believe I'm finally done!

No comments: