Monday, April 17, 2023

[Throwback] Mexico City

Mexico City is about 7,200 feet above sea level. I actually felt the altitude while I was there because I found it a bit difficult to breathe, but not enough to hold me back from doing touristy things haha. My hotel was a short walk away from Plaza de la Constitución or Zócalo, the main city square in the historic center of Mexico City so I made sure I got to see a few places here. It's a huge square, flanked on one side by the Catedral Metropolitana de la Ciudad de Mexico, or the Mexico City Metropolitan Cathedral.

Catedral Metropolitana de la Ciudad de Mexico

This Catholic church took 240 years to build. To the right of the main cathedral is the Metropolitan Tabernacle, which has a beautifully elaborate facade.

Facade of the Metropolitan Tabernacle

A significant amount of my time was spent at the Museo del Templo Mayor, which houses archaeological findings of Templo Mayor, the Great Temple of the Aztecs.

Artifact on display inside Museo del Templo Mayor

One of the most important artifacts here is the Coyolxauhqui Monolith. The story says that the earth deity Coatlicue became pregrant. This embarrassed and angered her children who, led by her eldest daughter and moon goddess Coyolxāuhqui, attempted to kill her. Before this could happen, Coatlicue gave birth to a fully grown and armed Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec solar and war deity, who protected his mother by killing Coyolxauhqui and dismembering her. This Coyolxauhqui Monolith depicts the dismembered Coyolxauhqui.

Coyolxauhqui Monolith on display inside Museo del Templo Mayor

There is a replica of this large stone at the entrance of Museo Del Templo Mayor. Naturally, I had to have my photo taken with it.

Replica of the Coyolxauhqui Monolith

A very short distance to the west of Zocalo is Palacio de Bellas Artes, or the Palace of Fine Arts.

Palacio de Bellas Artes

Next to it is Alameda Central, the oldest public park in the Americas which was built in the 16th century.

Fountain of Venus in Alameda Central

On the south side of the park stands Hemiciclo a Benito Juarez (Benito Juárez Hemicycle), a large monument built in honor of Mexico's 26th president.

Hemiciclo a Benito Juarez or Benito Juárez Hemicycle

I spotted this interesting yellow statue located near my hotel and decided to take a picture of it. Apparently, it is a steel statue called El Caballito (or Cabeza de Caballo) created by prominent Mexican sculptor Sebastian.

El Caballito by Sebastian

I actually did all this sightseeing on my second full day in Mexico City. My first day was spent taking a tour of Guadalupe and Teotihuacan. I will write more about this in my next post. 

Next post: Guadalupe and Teotihuacan

No comments: