Saturday, July 24, 2021

[Throwback] Stonehenge, Bath, and Lacock Village

One of the sights I absolutely wanted to see during my trip to the UK was Stonehenge. I looked at the brochures in the hostel I was staying in and I saw a brochure for a Luxury Mini-Coach Day Tour of Stonehenge, Bath, and Lacock Village organized by Astral Tours (which I think is no longer in operation).

Stonehenge

The brochure read: "5000 years of history in one day - the perfect combination for those with less time. We take the old coaching road through the rural Wiltshire to the charming village of Lacock. Enjoy a guided tour of beautiful Bath, originally founded by the Romans as a health spa, and later an elegant Georgian resort. Visit the Roman Baths and Pump Rooms and explore at your own leisure, with time for shopping and lunch. Discover the secrets of Stonehenge and hear about the many myths, legends, and mysteries associated with this awe-inspiring monument. The very best of Britain!

The Roman Baths

Our first stop was Lacock. I didn't know anything about this village but based on what I read in the brochure, I was really interested to experience its old-town charm. When we got there, I really enjoyed seeing the many quaint and beautiful traditional English houses and I loved soaking in the idyllic atmosphere as I walked along its historic streets. If I had more time here, I would have loved to visit Lacock Abbey, which has been around since the 13th century!

Lacock Village

Our next stop was Bath. Apparently, the entire city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I didn't get to explore the city though. I only had time to go around the Roman Baths.

Me at the Roman Baths

The Romans built these baths using the naturally occurring hot springs in the area. There is a museum complex where visitors can learn more about its history and see the ruins of the Temple of Sulis Minerva. Bath Abbey is right next to the Roman Baths but I didn't get a chance to visit it.

Bath Abbey

Finally, it was time to visit Stonehenge. This legendary monument was one of the first World Heritage sites in the UK. I can't recall what our tour guide said about it but you can read more about its history here. The visit doesn't take too long because the area is cordoned off so the closest you can get to it is about 20 meters away. (That said, I just discovered that you can get special access to walk among the stones. If I get to visit the UK again, I will try to join one of these special access tours.) While some people find Stonehenge to be overrated, I'm personally happy that I have gotten to see it in person.

Me at Stonehenge

The night after that tour was the last I spent in London. The next day, I took the to Newcastle to meet up with some friends. More about my trip to Newcastle in my next post.

Next post: Newcastle

No comments: