Tuesday, July 27, 2021

[Throwback] Edinburgh Sights and Landmarks

I didn't do a lot of research on what sights to see in Edinburgh so most of my decisions on what to do were made during my first day in the city. There were two places I knew that I wanted to visit. The first was the Scott Monument

Scott Monument

This landmark stands prominently in Princes Street Gardens. It was built as a monument to Scottish literary giant Sir Walter Scott, who authored classic novels such as Ivanhoe and Rob Roy. Visitors can enter the tower and climb its 287 steps to the top, which I did. Thankfully, the sun was shining brightly when was there so I was able to enjoy incredible panoramic views of both the old and new towns of Edinburgh.

View of Edinburgh from the Scott Monument

You also have a fantastic view of Edinburgh Castle, which is the second place I wanted to visit.

Great view of Edinburgh Castle from the Scott Monument

Edinburgh Castle is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Scotland and in the entire UK. It sits atop a cliff called Castle Rock at the end of the Royal Mile, which I guess make sense because being in that location makes the fortress much easier to defend.

Entrance to Edinburgh Castle

I got there a bit after noon because I wanted to be there in time for the firing of the One O'Clock Gun, which is shot everyday at 1pm. (I didn't get to see the gun fired but I definitely heard it!) I did see and take a photo of the Mons Meg, a cannon built in 1449.

Mons Meg

There are many things to see at the castle, including the Scottish National War Memorial, so you can easily spend a lot of time here.

Scottish National War Memorial

Visitors can also enjoy some pretty awesome views of the city.

View from Edinburgh Castle

There are several tourist traps along the Royal Mile and I ended up visiting a few of them after my trip to Edinburgh Castle. The first was the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre. I don't remember much about what I did here but I vaguely recall learning about Scotch Whisky. I can't recall if I got to to try some. I do know they gave me a certificate that said I completed the tour and that I am now a life-long friend of the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre. I still have that certificate! (I just did a search online and it seems this place is now called the Scotch Whisky Experience).

Scottish Whisky Heritage Centre

I also visited Camera Obscura, which is housed in the Outlook Tower. Guests can enjoy optical illusions and similar attractions. I took a look at the official website now and I think there are a lot more things to do than there were back when I visited. 

Camera Obscura

Finally, I went to the Tartan Weaving Mill and Exhibition. My friend Duncan told me that Scottish clans have their own unique pattern which is used in their kilts. Having some understanding the historic and traditional significance of tartan made me want to visit this place.

Tartan Weaving Mill and Exhibition

Of all the sights along the Royal Mile that I visited, this is the most memorable. While this attraction contains weaving and cloth displays which would normally not be as interesting, I got to do two things while I was here that made me feel the Scottish vibe. First, I got to try haggis, a traditional Scottish dish made of sheep's heart, lungs, and liver. I remember being a bit weirded out by the taste as soon as it hit my mouth but after a second or two, the flavor developed and I realized I actually really liked it! I asked them if haggis was available for sale there but it wasn't.

The other thing that made my visit to the Tartan Weaving Mill and Exhibition really unforgettable was that I got to put on a kilt and a traditional Scottish outfit and have my photo taken in it! If I recall correctly, it costs extra to do this - there is an official photographer who will take your photo and you get to take home an 8"x10" picture - but I couldn't say no to this opportunity. My photo is still on display in my family's home but I also asked the photographer to take a snapshot of me using my camera. Cool!

Me in traditional Scottish attire at the Tartan Weaving Mill and Exhibition

Next post: Edinburgh Experiences

No comments: