Monday, July 26, 2021

[Throwback] A Day in Newcastle

My friends Duncan and Amy were in the UK at the same time I was and they had planned to visit Susan in Newcastle. I managed to adjust my plans so that I could visit Newcastle on that same day so I could get see them all. I took a train from London to Newcastle and when I arrived, Duncan and Amy picked me up and took me to Susan's house. She very kindly agreed to host us all that evening so I didn't need to worry about accommodations. Once we all got settled, we went to visit Hadrian's Wall, one of the most historic landmarks in the UK. Hadrian's Wall is another UNESCO World Heritage Site (meaning that I had now seen three of them in two days). It is named after Roman Emperor Hadrian under whose reign the wall was built.

Hadrian's Wall

Later that night, all four of us went to a pub where I believe we were joined by some other friends of Duncan and Susan. I don't remember much of that night apart from the fact that I had so much beer. I don't recall paying for any drinks; I think people just kept buying rounds for everyone and I just kept graciously accepting them. I'm not sure how long we were at the pub, must have been quite a few hours but I was plastered when we got back to Susan's home. I remember telling people I was just going to lie a bit on the couch and the next thing I remember was that it was morning. Susan had very nicely placed a sheet and a blanket on the edge of the couch but as I was already asleep, I never got to use them.

I think my hangover made me forget much of what happened that day apart from Duncan and Amy driving me to Edinburgh where I would spend the next couple of nights. Duncan and Amy were actually heading to Glasgow but they decided to take me to Edinburgh so that Amy could also see the capital of Scotland during her UK visit. We spent the afternoon together, just walking around the border of the old town and the new town, and had dinner in the early evening. We then said our goodbyes so that Amy and Duncan could return to Glasgow while it still wasn't too late in the evening.

One other thing about this trip: Amy and I were both excited to see spotted cows! I remember seeing quite a few while on the train from London to Newcastle. While Duncan was driving us, we passed by several pastures where we saw more spotted cows. I pointed them out to Amy who then told Duncan, "see, it's not weird to be excited about seeing spotted cows!" I guess it's because we don't have them in the Philippines.

Next post: Edinburgh

No comments: