Monday, June 17, 2019

Movie Watching 2019

Godzilla II: King of the Monsters


I've been a fan of giant monster movies since I was a kid so watching Godzilla II: King of the Monsters was a no-brainer for me. I thought the 2014 Godzilla film was enjoyable enough but wasn't 'wow', but when I saw the many trailers of this second film (such as this one and this other one which is my favorite) and seeing all the monsters that would be making appearances in the movie, I coudn't wait to see it. So much so that I watched it on its opening day.  And it didn't disappoint. In fact, it actually exceeded my already very high expectations. If there wasn't enough exciting monster battle action in the 2014 film, this one totally made up for it. The fight scenes between Godzilla and Ghidora were epic, the introduction of Rodan as he came out of the volcano was absolutely kick-ass, and Mothra was so beautiful that you couldn't help but root for her. The effects were also stunning (even the posters are so aesthetically pleasing, such as these ones). There are many references to the old Godzilla films that will please its fans. Even the Godzilla and Mothra themes in this 2019 version are based on the original themes. I really enjoyed and was so thoroughly entertained by Godzilla II: King of the Monsters.

Aladdin


I was hesitant to see Aladdin because I saw a clip of Prince Ali online and I was a bit on the fence about it. However, a friend of mine said that he really enjoyed the live action version of the 1992 animated film. That sparked my interest. When I checked Rotten Tomatoes, I saw that while the critics had mixed reviews at 57%, the general audience rated the film quite positively with 94% (as of this writing). So I made up my mind to see it. And I'm glad I did. SPOILER ALERT: stop reading now if you don't want to know details of the story. It sticks to the original story for the most part but makes adds a few things to make the film a bit more relevant and strengthen the original social commentary about women's equality and changing traditions to make society better. It keeps most of the original songs (Jafar's song was taken out though, too bad) and adds a couple of new ones. I thought the best production number was Friend Like Me. I think the live action adds to the depth of emotion: there was a bit more suspense in the scenes where Jafar was trying to be deceitful and manipulative and Aladdin setting the genie free was more heartwarming. All in all, this was a pretty good remake and I'm happy I got to see it while it is still showing. 

No comments: