Monday, March 11, 2019

The Phantom of the Opera returns to Manila

The Phantom of the Opera returned to Manila last month, more than 6 years after it was staged in Manila in late 2012. My nephews hadn't seen it yet and I know at least one of them has become a lot more interested in musicals as he got older so I asked them if they wanted to watch it and said they did. As such, I took them to see it and I also got a ticket for my mom who watched it in 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it.


I was very happy to learn that Jonathan Roxmouth reprised his role as the phantom. It truly is such a pleasure to listen his magnificent voice. The rest of the cast were also tremendous. The production continues to be such a visual feast and the boat scene remains one of the most iconic and magical scenes and sets in a musical (the candles rising from the floor never fails to impress me). We were closer to the stage this time so we could see the acting a bit more, making our experience even more amazing. The entire cast and the production got a well-deserved standing ovation in the end, with Jonathan Roxmouth getting the biggest cheers during curtain call.


There were also a lot of really cool photo opportunities outside the theatre. Set of mirrors, sparkling phantom mask, and the boat scene. Thankfully we arrived about an hour early so we were able to take photos when the lines weren't too long yet. (We also managed to enjoy some coffee and cake before the show started.)


We also bought a few souvenirs. We got a souvenir program during the intermission so that we could read more about the cast. After the show, we passed by the souvenir shop. My mom purchased a t-shirt and we got a fridge magnet. There was also a teddy bear in a phantom costume that I wanted to buy but we didn't really have space at home for it so I didn't get it. It does look really cute, though.


I have now seen Phantom three times and I'm happy that I was able to take my nephews to see it. I'm also happy that my mom has now gotten to see it twice. The show has been extended until April 6 in The Theatre at Solaire so there are lots more opportunities to see it if you haven't yet (or if you just want to see it again). You can buy your tickets at Ticketworld,com.

No comments: