Sunday, March 24, 2019

33rd Sampung Mga Daliri Atbp by the UST Conservatory of Music

Last Sunday night, my family and I went to CCP to watch the 33rd Sampung Mga Daliri Atbp., a show presented by the UST Conservatory of Music. This was an orchestra performance featuring the many different performance arts groups of UST, such as the UST Symphony Orchestra and UST Symphonic Band among many others. Performers in the show included students, alumni, and faculty.


The theme of the show this year was Laru-Laro and the program included a very varied selection of music. It featured classical pieces such as Beethoven's 5th Symphony, modern orchestral pieces from popular TV shows and films such as Game of Thrones and Hunger Games, a jazz number performed by the UST Jazz Band, and music that kids and kids-at-heart would enjoy such as songs from High School Musical and from popular video games like Super Mario. I have to say, I had always wanted to hear Beethoven's 5th symphony performed by a live orchestra so I was really pleased that it was part of program. The Champions medley finale included Call of the Champions (I believe this was composed by John Williams), Nessun Dorma from Puccini's opera Turnadot, and Queen's We are the Champions.

shot of the stage before the show started

Towards the end of the show, the Dean of the UST Conservatory of Music told the audience that the music was carefully selected so that it would serve as a good introduction for the general public into orchestral music. I've actually watched live orchestras a few times before but I believe this was the first time for my family. We were watching because my nephew was part of the choral group. I thought it was incredibly cool that my nephew has now performed in CCP. I told my mom that it was pretty amazing that my nephew was part of the choral group that sang back-up to Nessun Dorma, one of the most famous operatic arias.

a zoomed-in shot of the choral group (I took this photo during curtain call)

I hadn't watched a show in CCP in almost three years (the last show I saw there was Firebird and other ballets in 2016) since virtually all of the theatrical performances I've seen in the last few years has been at the Theatre at Solaire. Watching the 33rd Sampung Mga Daliri Atbp show here made me interested in watching more local shows and support local talent.

No comments: