Thursday, March 28, 2019

Movie Watching 2019 Part 1

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World


This is the last How to Train Your Dragon film so I made sure I got to see it (although I actually watched it on its last week of showing in Manila; thankfully, I still caught it.) It's a really good movie although the first film remains to be my favorite of the series. SPOILER ALERT: stop reading now if you don't want to know more about the film. It was really nice to see the continued growth and evolution of the characters - both human and dragon - and I especially love that we finally get to see another Night Fury (or a Light Fury, as she was called). The film did leave me with a couple of questions though. If all the dragons came from this hidden world and they all go there at the end of the film to stay hidden and ensure their safety, then what prompted them to leave the safety of this hidden world in the first place? Also, why didn't they go back when they started getting killed and captured by humans? I guess maybe some or most dragons didn't know where the hidden world was but there were some dragons that did and I reckon those dragons should have just led the rest home. In any case, I did find this film to be really good and very moving, especially the last few scenes stretching from the climax to the epilogue, making it a solid ending to the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy.

Captain Marvel


This latest film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) got a lot of mixed reviews. Some of my friends say it's good while some say it wasn't. I watched this movie mainly because I needed to see it before I watch Avengers End Game. That said, I have to say that I actually thought it was good and enjoyable. SPOILER ALERT: stop reading now if you don't want to know more about the film. It was the first time Captain Marvel was being properly introduced (I'm not counting the end credits scene of Infinity War LOL). I like how her origin was revealed and how the story unfolded, making the audience experience the same level of confusion that Carol Danvers was experiencing when her messed-up memory left her unsure as to which of her memories were real and which were not. I thought the movie had a solid cast who should be given props for making the characters very relatable and sympathetic, including Talos, Maria Rambeau, and her daughter. There are two end-credits scenes in this film, as is the case in most MCU films, but while I liked the first end-credits scene, I could've skipped the last one.

No comments: