Monday, December 17, 2018

Of Drained Car Batteries and Ride Sharing Challenges

I was on my way to a board game night and I was picking up a cake at Kitchen's Best in Pasong Tamo Extension when I realized my car wouldn't start.  I figured the battery must have been dead. To make matters worse, my phone was almost dead. Thankfully, I was parked in a relatively convenient area where I could wait and my friend Jovan was with me. She helped me call Motolite via their hotline +632 350 6686. While I never had challenges with Motolite in the past since they would deliver my battery quite quickly, often within 30-45 minutes, I did have a bit of a challenge this time around since it took about an hour and a half for their service personnel to reach us. Which is very surprising since there is a Motolite along Pasong Tamo. The guy said he saw someone in distress on the road and decided to help which is why he ended up being pretty late. In any case, my car trouble was resolved and my car was able to run smoothly after.

Shortly after that, I needed to attend an event in Makati while coming from Ortigas. I didn't have my car with me that day due to color coding so I tried getting a ride via Grab. Unfortunately, I couldn't book a Grab Car. I had about 1 1/2 hours until my event so I figured I could try Grab Share instead since I still had time and Ortigas wasn't that far from Makati. Thankfully, I was able to book a Grab Share quite quickly. The problem is that the person who was in the same ride with me was heading to Bonifacio Global City. While I understand that Makati isn't that far from BGC distance-wise, the traffic during rush hour is really bad. In the end, I was in transit for almost 2 hours and I ended up being late for the event. Thankfully, it didn't start on time. I really don't know what the Grab Share algorithm is and how they put passengers together but based on that experience, I might not try it again unless I am absolutely desperate and there is no other option.

No comments: