Sunday, December 09, 2018

Internet Woes

I switched internet providers this month. I originally had Bayan DSL, which I got almost a decade ago because it was the only internet provider at the time that you could get without needing a landline. My internet provider officially became Globe when Globe bought Bayantel about three years ago. I have now terminated my Globe/Bayan internet and I switched to Sky Broadband.

So why the switch? It all started early last month when my internet stopped working on a Monday morning. When I got home after work, it was still not working so I called Globe to report the problem. They told me they would have someone visit me on Saturday to check my router. When the guy arrived, he told me that there was a problem with the Bayan data cabinet and all other Bayan subscribers in my area had the same problem. They said that work was already being done to restore my internet service.

A few days later, I still didn't have internet at home. This time, I messaged Globe Telecom on messenger. I was told that the restoration of my service may take some time because of the need to provide extended cables from the cabinet to my area. After a couple of days, my internet was still down so I call Globe this time and ask when my service will be restored. They still couldn't give me a target date.

It was at this point that I realized that the problem may have been because Globe was switching all their subscribers who were still on the Bayan circuit to the Globe circuit. I guess I can understand why they were doing this but (1) why would this migration result in a few weeks of downtime and (2) why did they not inform me of this earlier on?

After 18 days of waiting and having no internet, I decide to finally terminate my Globe/Bayan internet account. The hassle I have to face now is falling in line at a Globe Center to make my final payment since I can't pay online anymore since my account has been terminated.

So why did I switch to Sky Broadband? I was actually initially leaning towards Converge because I have friends who use it and say their internet is very fast. However, when I called Converge, they said my area wasn't covered yet. I didn't want to switch to Smart/PLDT because I keep reading about horror stories that people have with the Smart/PLDT service. I went with Sky Broadband because I have Skycable at home and I knew it would be simple enough to set-up Sky Broadband if you already have Sky Cable. My family also use Sky Broadband and they so far haven't had too many bad experiences with their internet service.

Hopefully, my internet stays okay and I don't run into any problems with it, at least not in the near future.

No comments: