Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Spider-Man: No Way Home and Other Netflix Shows

I finally got to watch Spider-Man: No Way Home! It became available on Netflix on July 13 and it premiered on AXN on July 17 so I watched it on both platforms haha. The film had its global theatrical release in December 2021 but I didn't get to see it in the movie theaters; I think it was supposed to be shown in the Philippines in January 2022 but that was the time that we had a massive Omicron surge so I can't recall now if cinemas were closed. In any case, I'm really happy that it finally made its way to online streaming platforms and cable TV. The thing I regret about not getting to watch Spider-Man: No Way Home when it premiered globally was that I didn't get to experience the big reveal: Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield both appeared in the film! There was so much talk about both of them reprising their roles as Spider-Man but in the months leading up to the film's release, Andrew Garfield kept denying that he was in the movie so I started to doubt the rumors. I normally don't like spoilers but since there was no clarity as to when the movie would be shown in the Philippines, I actually searched as many spoilers as I could find online and I found out that Andrew and Tobey were indeed in the movie. Yay! I've seen a lot of reaction videos online where audiences cheered wildly when both Andrew and Tobey appeared onscreen so it's too bad I couldn't experience that. But at least I've seen the movie now (a few times already, in fact) and I did enjoy it.

Spider-Man: No Way Home on Netflix

I also completed the 5 seasons of Kim's Convenience. I wasn't familiar with this show but it appeared as a recommendation on Netflix and I decided to add it to my list. Initially, I thought it was just okay. However, a few episodes into the first season and I realized I started to connect with the characters a lot and I became invested in the series. Each episode is only about 20 minutes long and because it's a comedy, it's really easy to watch. I would watch a few episodes each day, often before I went to bed. The sad thing is that Kim's Convenience ended prematurely. It was renewed for a 6th season but I discovered online that the creators of the show decided not to proceed with it because they wanted to work on other projects. Which was a shame because the Season 5 finale opened the door for some really interesting storylines. It really left me wanting for more. Despite the abrupt ending that came with a lot of unresolved loose ends, I really enjoyed this show.

Kim's Convenience on Netflix

Another show I finished recently was Iron Chef: Quest for an Iron Legend. The show pitted challengers against the Iron Chefs and the challenger who won their battle and got the highest score during the preliminary rounds would face all five Iron Chefs in the finale. If he or she won that battle, he or she would be hailed as an Iron Leged. Chef Esther Choi earned the chance to claim this title by beating Marcus Samuelson and getting a score of 86, which was the highest score achieved by all challengers during the preliminary rounds. In the finale, she lost by the slimmest of margins against five Iron Chefs who each had to prepare only one dish so major props to her. I've always enjoyed this show - I remember watching the original Japanese series even if I couldn't understand what they were saying -  so I'm glad that Quest for an Iron Legend is now on Netflix. There's talk of a season 2 so I am looking forward to that.

Iron Chef: Quest for  an Iron Legend

No comments: