Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Long Weekend Gone Awry

Monday was a holiday so my plan for the long weekend was to rest and recharge, catch up on my to-watch lists on Netflix and HBO Go, and maybe even read a book. Unfortunately, it turned into a sequence of really bad events that made my long weekend even more stressful than normal work days. Ugh. Exactly what happened?

1. My bathroom wall tiles started falling off. I noticed that there was a problem a few weeks back when a crack appeared. I felt that maybe it was caused by the pressure and vibration from the construction going on at the apartment above mine (and maybe made even worse by the earthquake in late July). Anyway, on Friday night, as I was taking a shower, several tiles starting falling off, leaving a sizeable section of my wall "bald". What's worse is that there is an even bigger crack now, which could lead to the entire wall just collapsing. As such, I spent a significant amount of time last Monday going to the different home depots in Metro Manila to look for tiles. Despite many hours of doing this, I didn't find a tile that I liked (size-wise and looks-wise). I decided to drive to Mariwasa in Pasig in the late afternoon but when I got there, it was closed. I'm not sure if it was closed because it was a holiday or if I missed its opening hours. Needless to say, it was a waste of a trip.

2. My building access card stopped working. All residents in the building where I live need an access card to go to their floor and their parking floor. On Saturday, I realize my card wasn't working anymore. As a result, I had to keep asking our lobby guard to help me. This was not an issue if I was at our lobby needing to go up to my unit. However, in cases where I was in my unit and heading down to my parking floor, I would have to pass by the lobby first to ask for their help to get to my parking floor. That made it extremely difficult for me when I was bringing a lot of stuff from my apartment to my car (which I had to do a few times during the weekend). That this happened during the long weekend meant it was such a bad hassle for me for a few days. It was only on Tuesday that I finally got to replace my access card (which I had to pay for).

3. I had to deal with my family's internet and cable issues. It started when my nephew told me that they had been struggling with their internet speed at home. Since I manage their internet and cable, I decided to call Sky Cable to increase the speed. I selected the highest SKY Fiber Unli Broadband + HD Cable TV plan, which meant a significant increase in our internet speed but a reduction in our channels. (We would lose AXN, our favorite channel, so I had to ask Sky to add the AXN pack to my subscription.) I was on the phone for a really long time before the changes were update was completed. However, for some reason, some channels that should still have been part of our line-up, such as HBO, Warner TV, and Dreamworks, were not appearing. What?!? I had to call Sky Cable again a few times but despite that, the channels were still missing. That, and the our internet speed at home hadn't improved yet. Ugh, what a nightmare! The customer service agent told me to just monitor the cable and internet speed over the next 24 hours to see if all issues would be resolved. Unfortunately, the next day, the missing channels had still not appeared. I called Skycable again to ask for someone to visit us and see what the problem was. (Thankfully, the missing channels finally reappeared and our internet speed did increase later that day, but not after a lot of stress.)

4. I lost some receipts that I need to reimburse. I set aside some receipts that I placed in an empty letter envelope but during the long weekend, I couldn't find them anymore. I spent a couple of hours cleaning up my apartment to see if I might have placed the receipts under piles of random junk but they didn't turn up. I wonder if I might have thrown them away accidentally.

The fact that all this happened after a very difficult couple of weeks at work didn't help. Maybe it's time for me to take another vacation.

No comments: