Monday, May 27, 2024

A Wedding in Batangas

My cousin Pat, who also happens to be my ex-colleague, just married Carlo, another ex-colleague. My mom and I were both invited to join their wedding which was held at Sefriya Farm and Orchard in Alitagtag, Batangas. It was scheduled on a Saturday so my mom and I agreed that, even if it was a long drive from Metro Manila, we would go.


Sefriya is a beautiful place and apparently (and understandably), it has been gaining popularity as an ideal wedding venue. Unfortunately, it rained almost non-stop that weekend. I'm pretty sure Pat and Carlo were stressed and bummed but they both still managed to be in great spirits despite this setback. It is also said that rain on your wedding day is actually good luck so hopefully they will celebrate many incredible decades together that are filled with love, laughter, and adventure.

The ceremony was held at Kapilya or the Sefriya chapel. It is described in the Sefriya website as being reminiscent of idyllic churches in Southern France and I have to agree as it is very charming and intimate. The colors inside the chapel are warm and inviting and the lights give it a radiant glow.


The dinner reception was supposed to be outdoors but it had to moved indoors - to Tipanan Hall - because of the precipitation. Tipanan Hall was a bit tight once all guests were inside but the coordinators and organizers made it work. It also helped that everyone was very understanding and eager to make Pat and Carlo feel loved and celebrated on their very special day. As it is with most weddings, this one also became a family reunion as my mom and I got to see and catch up with Pat's parents - Tito Jun and Tita Marivic - as well as Tito Erwin, Tita Maritie, my cousin Carissa, Tita Florence, and Uncle Clifford who flew in from the US. It was really cool that so many of us were able to make it.


I also sang at the wedding. Carlo has heard me sing before - during Christmas parties at work and during karaoke nights - so he asked me if I could sing during the reception. Naturally, I said yes. I decided to perform The Promise (Martin Nievera version) because I was already quite familiar with this song. Not that familiar apparently as I flubbed one line haha but overall, my performance was still relatively well-received. Whew!

Normally, I try to stay until the end of the wedding reception but my mom and I had to leave a bit earlier this time because we weren't able to book a room in the area. When I remembered that I had to reserve accommodations me and my mom, there were no available rooms left in any of the nearby hotels and resorts. (Sefriya was fully booked quite early, presumably by the families of Pat and Carlo and by the members of the entourage.) I didn't want to have to drive back to Metro Manila for 3 hours late at night so I booked a room in Tagaytay instead (it was still more than an hour away but a lot closer than home.)

Despite the weather, it was still an incredible and wonderful wedding. The coordinators were still able to get the fireworks display to work and it definitely brightened up the rainy night. Many of Pat's and Carlo's relatives and friends were also there that night and I'm sure the newlyweds felt loved.

Congratulations and Best Wishes, Pat and Carlo!

No comments: