Friday, October 20, 2023

New Stuff and New Experiences

One of the most awesome things I got this year is a deck of Voltes V playing cards! A post about these limited edition cards popped up on social media and I was immediately drawn to it. I mentioned to my FGTC board game friends (yes, we have a name haha) that I was interested to get these cards but I was hesitant because they weren't exactly cheap. They told me not to get it and just save my money. As it turned out, they got it for me! What an amazing and very thoughtful gift!

Voltes V playing cards

I love that the key characters are featured on the cards. Even Octo-1 appears on the Joker cards! Naturally, all the 5 cards feature the Voltes V. There are also extra design cards that show the five Voltes pilots - Steve, Big Bert, Little John, Mark, and Jamie volting in. These playing cards are really so cool!

Most of the key characters are featured on the playing cards!

I also got new shoes - Purple Nike Dunk Low Court. I was passing by a shoe store when I noticed them. I've always liked the simple design of Nike Dunks and when I saw these purple and white shoes, I was instantly drawn to them. They were decently priced and when I tried them on, I thought they looked good on me. I decided to get them because I figured I would regret it if I didn't. So far, I'm really happy with my purchase.

Wearing my purple Nike Dunks

Another new thing I got to try recently was ordering from Amazon and shipping directly to the Philippines. This new service provided by Amazon is relatively new and many of my friends were able to try it already. You need to order at least $49 worth of items to get free shipping but it's important to note that not all items qualify for free shipping and that if you exceed P10,000, your order will most likely need to go through customs. I had just recently played Champions of Midgard, which is fast becoming one of my favorite games, and I thought it would be a better playing experience to get the expansions - Valhalla and Dark Mountains - which would allow an extra player to join and would reduce the luck of the dice roll. These two items exceeded $49 so I got free shipping and maybe a couple of weeks after my order, I got them. Very cool!

Champions of Midgard expansions that I purchased on Amazon

Speaking of board games, I also recently managed to reduce my "shelf of shame", which is the set of board games someone owns that they hadn't played yet. I got to play my copy of Dominion, one of the original deck building games, with my friends. It's easy to understand and to teach and game play is quite quick. I didn't win but I certainly enjoyed playing it. Hopefully, it can hit the table more often.

Playing my Dominion board game for the first time

I also got to play my copy of King of Tokyo for the first time in years and I got to play my King of Tokyo Cthulu Monster Pack expansion. Cool! There are still a couple of months before the year ends so I hope I can reduce my shelf of shame even further.

No comments: