Monday, February 28, 2022

[Throwback] Final Thoughts on My Return Trip to Paris

Here's a summary of my return trip to Paris: 

The Louvre Palace

I revisited Paris towards the tail end of my assignment in Belgium. Both of my trips to French capital were in winter but while the skies were dark and muggy during my first visit, the sun shone brightly and the skies were clear during my second. That said, it was colder in my return trip. I think it was averaging zero degrees Celsius every day!

Sacre-Coeur

Despite it being really cold, I still spent most of my time outdoors. It was only at the Louvre where I spent a lot of time indoors. (I did go inside both Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur but I wasn't there for very long.) Thankfully, I do quite decently in cold weather for someone who comes from a tropical country so I survived.

A photo while walking along the streets of Montmartre

I do remember walking a whole lot that weekend. Which isn't a surprise since I spent most of my time outdoors. I actually walked so much that my feet hurt at the end of my first day there. (Maybe the weather had something to do with that as well.)

Île de la Cité where you can find Notre Dame Cathedral

In my first blog post about this trip, I mentioned that I might have taken a day off so I could spend more time in Paris. After looking through my photos and checking the dates and times they were taken, I realized that I was really just there for the weekend. The first pic I took was at around noon on Saturday and the last pic was at around 3pm on Sunday. That must have meant I took the early morning train from Brussels to Paris on Saturday and the late afternoon/evening train on Sunday. Considering how little time I had there, I do feel I actually got to see and do quite a lot.

Stained glass window at Notre Dame

Since I was close to the end of my stint in Europe, I decided to splurge on this trip as some sort of celebration of my first ever international assignment. I booked a room at the very expensive Hotel du Louvre and if I recall correctly, it cost about USD300++ back then (I took a quick look now and a room here costs double that the amount I spent all those years ago).  I stayed at this hotel because it had high ratings and it was close to the Louvre which was my primary reason for visiting.

Me at the Louvre

So that's it for my return trip to Paris. I actually went to one other country - Luxembourg - during my 3-month assignment in Belgium that I still haven't written about so I will try to write about that soon.

No comments: