Saturday, February 26, 2022

[Throwback] Paris Sights and Landmarks

My return trip to Paris allowed me to see a bit more of the same sights that I had seen before as well as some new ones. I mentioned in my throwback post about my first trip to Paris that I got to see Les Invalides from afar. This time around, I got to see it up close.

Les Invalides

Formally known as Hôtel National des Invalides, this complex was built in the 17th century as a retirement home and a hospital for war veterans. Later on, some sections of Invalides were converted into museums. In fact, Napoleon Bonaparte's tomb can be found under the Dome of the Invalides.

Statue of Napoleon Bonaparte in Invalides

I didn't go into the museums but I did walk around the grounds to soak in the atmosphere...


...and to take a few photos.


Another new place I visited was the Sacré-Coeur Basilica, or simply Sacré-Coeur (which means Sacred Heart).

Sacré-Coeur

It was built atop Montmartre, a large hill in the French capital. As such, when you are here, you can see beautiful views of the city.

View of Paris from Sacré-Coeur

I also wanted to visit Moulin Rouge because I had seen the film. This cabaret is just a short walk from Sacré-Coeur. Naturally, I had to take a photo when I was there.

Moulin Rouge

The rest of my time in Paris was spent revisiting places I had seen before. In my first trip to Notre Dame, I only got to enjoy it from the outside. This time around, I went inside to admire the cathedral's beautiful interior.

Inside Notre Dame

I also saw a statue of King Charlemagne on the cathedral grounds and I decided to have a photo taken here. (I also don't what possessed me to unfashionably pop the collar of my leather jacket; I guess maybe I kinda wanted a different look in my photos.)

Charlemagne et ses Leudes

I also revisited the River Seine,

River Seine

the Arc de Triomphe,

Arc de Triomphe

...and the Eiffel Tower.

Eiffel Tower

Next post: Final thoughts on my Return Trip to Paris

No comments: