Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Parasite

Congratulations to Parasite for winning four awards at the Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director for Bong Joon-Ho, Best Original Screenplay, and Best International Feature Film. It is the first time that a non-English film won the top prize at the Academy Awards. Prior to its Oscar success, this South Korean movie also became the first non-English language movie to win Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture at the SAG Awards. Amazing!


I made sure to watch Parasite immediately after its Oscar triumph, primarily because I knew there was a major twist in this movie and I was worried that I would be spoiled if I didn't see it immediately. (True enough, a few days after I saw it, a radio DJ actually spoiled it on air.)

SPOILER ALERT: I will be sharing some details about the movie so please stop reading now if you don't want to be spoiled.

The great thing about Parasite is how unconventional it is. The story revolves around the Kim family who con their way into high-paying jobs for the Parks, a tremendously wealthy family. After Ki-woo gets a job as an English teacher for the Parks, he sees an opportunity for the rest of his family to find employment at their household. As this was all unfolding, you just knew that at some point, their scam would be exposed. This tension made for very exciting viewing. The truth came out midway through the film but not in the way that I thought it would. This twist that people were talking about was truly unexpected and the frantic chaos that ensued when the Kim family tried to protect themselves from exposure was gripping. It is at this point that the mood drastically changes. Issues of social inequality, while treated lightly in the first half of the movie, become significantly stronger in this second half. The climax of the the film is wild, intense, and harrowing while the denouement is, once again, unexpected and very powerful.

To be honest, when I left the cinema, I wasn't sure how I felt about the movie, mainly because it was so heavy that I actually felt quite disturbed by how all the events unfolded. However, when I had a bit more time to process it, I realized how good Parasite is because it left me with a lot of uneasiness and discomfort and it weighed on me for a while. Only really good films can do that to its audiences. If you haven't seen Parasite yet, please do. It is highly recommended.

No comments: