Friday, February 28, 2020

Making a Difference

I recently had one of the most moving conversations that left me humbled and inspired.

My friend who also used to be my direct report told me that I changed his life. In one of our one-on-one conversations many years ago, it seems I helped him realize his potential and believe in himself more than he did at the time. He told me that this allowed him to take a huge and even frightening leap in his career, a move that would very positively impact his life. While I'm sure he would have realized how good he was by himself, I am filled with joy to know that I helped him in his journey.

I still get a bit emotional when I think of that conversation. When I decided to become a people manager in my previous job, I believed I could make strong contributions to the company I was working for. Making this much of a difference in someone's life, however, is not something I imagined I would ever be able to do.

No comments: