Monday, December 23, 2019

Return to Seoul

I revisited Seoul in early December, about nine years after my last trip to this vibrant city. This was actually my fourth visit to South Korea - the first two times I went here were for work and I didn't have a lot of opportunities to go around and see the sights. The third trip was mainly for leisure but it was a bit too short. This fourth trip allowed me to see visit some places in Seoul I hadn't been to before. Interestingly enough, this is the third time I was in Seoul during winter.


The purpose: to watch U2. U2 is one of my all-time favorite bands and their Joshua Tree Asian Tour included a show in Seoul. But why go to Korea when U2 also performed in Bulacan? The problem was that the announcement of a Philippine leg was made only after ticket sales to the rest of the Asian tour were concluded. As a big fan, I desperately needed to see them while I still could - not sure how many more concerts they would do after this - so my friends and I decided to get tickets to their Korean leg. I was tempted to get a ticket to the Philippines concert so I could see U2 in my home country but I was attending a wedding on the date of their show here so I decided to stick to just their Seoul show.


This is the first time I traveled internationally with Mitch and Ferg. Mitch has been one of my best friends for decades as we were classmates in high school and college so I was just as excited to travel abroad with her as I was to watch U2. This was the first time both Mitch and Ferg were visiting South Korea and since Mitch had some specific sights she wanted to see and experiences she wanted to have, she sorted out all the tours we would take. Luckily for me, everything she organized were things I hadn't done before and places I hadn't visited before.


During this trip, we did a half-day Seoul City Tour,


...a revised DMZ spy tour that included an interview with a North Korean defector,


...a street food tour,


...and a trip to Nami Island, a Strawberry Farm, and the Garden of Morning Calm to see the Rainbow Light Festival.


I will be blogging in detail about this fantastic trip. Next post: Seoul City Tour and The Gyeongbokgung Palace

No comments: