Monday, December 16, 2019

Catching Up

So by catching up I mean two things. First, I'm lucky to have been able to catch up with many of my friends over the last few months. Second, because my schedule has been pretty hectic, I haven't really been able to blog a lot recently so this post is my way to catch up on all the stuff that I've been meaning to write about but haven't been able to yet.

A few months ago, Steph was in town so I organized dinner in BGC. Ever since I had dinner in La Mere Poulard a while back, I had been meaning to eat there again so I suggested to everyone that we have dinner here and everyone agreed. Pia and Raffa were able to join us. I tried the puff omelette which was good and for dessert, we shared the Dulce De Leche Religieuse, which was both visually appealing and quite yummy.

Dulce De Leche Religieuse from La Mere Poulard

Shortly after that, had a reunion with my ex-colleagues at Wildwest Roadhouse. It served as a joint celebration of many folks who were celebrating their birthdays as well as a despedida for my ex-boss Jay who was moving to a new job out of the country. Also around that time, I had dinner again with Tin and AJ in Fish & Co. I hadn't eaten in Fish & Co in a long time so I quite enjoyed our dinner. It was also cool that Tin's husband Win joined us and Mon, who was passing by, decided to join us briefly as well. It was the first time I got to hang out with Win and Mon in a while. As if dinners in BGC weren't enough, I joined some of my other non-work friends for dinner at Locavore. Naturally, we ordered the Sizzling Sinigang and the Lechon and Oyster Sisig, which are staples when dining here. I don't think I will ever tire of these two dishes.

Sizzling Sinigang and Lechon and Oyster Sisig from Locavore

It wasn't all in BGC though. I also had dinner with my colleagues from my first job at Planet Grapes in Edsa Shang. This was yet again a multiple birthday celebration. Chari, Jette, Mitch, Ric, and Lany made it that evening and we enjoyed really good food and wine at Planet Grapes. I tried their Grilled Norwegian Salmon which was really, really good. I would love to have this again.

Grilled Norwegian Salmon from Planet Grapes

Sticking to Ortigas, I had dinner with Gabbie and Marie at Vanderlust in Podium. We had been talking about having dinner for such a long time and we finally managed to find a common time. I had eaten here before and I enjoyed the food so I suggested it and both of them agreed. I ordered the Schweinekotelett (Porkchop) with Mustard Cream Sauce which I loved.

Schweinekotelett with Mustard Cream Sauce from Vanderlust

My ex-teammates and I also enjoyed the unlimited dimsum promo in Lugang Cafe last October. Most of them work in Makati so we agreed to have dinner in Lugang Cafe in Glorietta. Only a handful of us were available that night - Mickee, Jensen, Chelle, and Miguel - but we still had a lot of fun (and an incredibly satisfying meal, followed by coffee and dessert in Coffee Bean). There was more feasting with ex-teammates when I joined my first ever wedding inaanak Geop and Ana and my soon-to-be wedding inaanak Migs and Diann for lunch in Botejyu. We had initially planned to eat in Elephant Grounds but there was a long waiting list when we got there so we opted instead for Botejyu which Ana had been wanting to try. The food here in this Japanese restaurant is pretty good and it isn't too expensive. Another new resto I got to try was Cafe Ysabel (yes, it was my first time here despite the fact that this place has been around for decades LOL). I had lunch here with Martin and Jane and I'm glad we finally managed to meet up because our schedules are all pretty busy and it's often difficult to find a common time. Mike and Reb were also available so they managed to join us. It was the first time that we all got together in more than a year!

Cafe Ysabel

I also got to reconnect with many of my college friends during our college alumni event. My friend Mikal was organizing the event so I made sure to attend. More recently, I've started joining Christmas reunions. I joined my ex-teammates at TGI Friday's for dinner where we had our annual white elephant exchange gift before we capped off the evening with some wine. I also joined my other ex-colleagues at Rockwell Glasshouse by harlan + holden for lunch. Che was already in Manila so she joined me, Raffa, Joh, Pia, Me-ann, and Alvin and Doray and their kids. I ordered the corned beef rice bowl and I really enjoyed it. Finally, I had a bit of a reunion with some ex-colleagues during Charles' wedding. It was a great evening because I got to celebrate with Charles on his special day as he married his now-wife Kristine and I also got to catch up with many of my ex-teammates who I don't get to see anymore. A lot of them had already taken new opportunities in new companies like me and it was great hearing how things were working out for them.

Charles and Kristine's wedding

It's been an amazing and very social last few months and there are a lot more reunions coming up. Hopefully, I can manage my energy well (and the horrific Christmas traffic LOL) to make sure I get to spend more time with the many wonderful people in my life.

No comments: