Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Movie Watching 2019 Part 3

Knives Out


I decided to watch this because I saw some very positive reviews of it from friends (it currently has a 97% critics rating and a 92% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes). Now that I've seen it, I will agree with many other fans of this movie who say that it offers a tremendously interesting, unique, and clever twist on the whodunit, murder-mystery genre. I've never seen another film quite like this. A friend of mine said that while she liked it, she did feel some parts of it were dragging. I think she felt that way because there was so much hype about how different the plot is from other films so viewers tend to wait for that plot twist and anything that comes before it tends to feel dragging LOL. That said, I really like how the story builds and how the audience is slowly let in on the film's secrets. This is one of my top five favorite movies of 2019 (not that I've seen that many LOL) and I highly recommend it. Try to see it if you can.

Frozen II


People have said this Frozen sequel is more adult than the first and I have to agree, although kids will still naturally enjoy it. While the songs in Frozen II are not as catchy as those from the first movie, such as Let It Go and Do You Want to Build a Snowman, I still liked this second film's soundtrack. In fact, I have not stopped listening to Into the Unknown (both the movie version by Idina Menzel and the pop version by Panic! at the Disco) and Show Yourself. I saw a comment on YouTube that highlighted how the narrative of the Frozen storyline has evolved because in Let it Go, Elsa sings the line "Turn away and slam the door" but in Show Yourself, she sings "Come to me now, Open your door." These two lines are almost exact opposites of each other so you have to think that the songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez . I am not, however, a fan of the boy band imagery of Lost in the Woods, sung by Kristoff LOL (I thought it was corny although the audience seemed to love it). The animation in this film is stunning and I love how the story of this sequel flows from the first film.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil


Spoiler alert: please stop reading if you don't want to know more about this movie.

For some reason, I thought this movie would show how Maleficent devolves to become the Mistress of Evil, which is how she is portrayed in the animated Sleeping Beauty film from 1959. However, even early on in the film, I picked up on cues that she would continue to be the protagonist and that it was Queen Ingrith, portrayed very ably by Michelle Pfeiffer, who would turn out to be the antagonist. It's a bit of a classic tale of two colliding worlds and the struggle that comes with trying to bring peace amidst a distrust and betrayal. The sequence where Maleficent finds other fairies like herself reminds me very much of the Hidden World in How to Train your Dragon 3. It was kinda sad seeing so many fairies killed but it was also hopeful seeing how they were "reincarnated". For me, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil wasn't as good as the first one but it was still pretty good and entertaining.

No comments: