Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Lifestyle Change

Two things happened this year that triggered my lifestyle change. First, as I had previously written, I had a bit of a health scare earlier in the year. My doctor suggested that I should significantly reduce my intake of a few food items. Then, more recently, my annual physical exam results came out and it seems I have a few more minor health issues that could become bigger issues if I don't make some adjustments. Since I don't want to have major health issues in the near future, I decided to follow doctor's orders.

What changes do I need to make? First, I have to reduce my intake of sugar, fatty food, cholesterol, and alcohol. Second, I have to improve my HDL (good cholesterol). Third, I need to exercise regularly. My doctor told me to do low-impact exercises for 30 minutes at least a few times a week. Finally, I need to reduce my weight, ideally by 3 to 4 kilos (or more if possible). I started my lifestyle change in mid-March and while it has proven to be a struggle, I've managed to follow doctor's orders pretty well:

1. I used to eat lots of foods that are high in sugar: breads and pastries such as sticky cinnamon buns and Danish pastries, cakes and desserts, chocolates, rice, pasta, and noodles. I probably managed to cut my intake of these food items by about 30% if not more.

2. About three to four times a week, I have just a salad for lunch or dinner. This has helped me increase my vegetable intake and reduce my carb intake but I do get hungry pretty quickly. When I get really hungry, I eat a handful (or two) of nuts. I also eat a lot more fish now. I have instant (unflavored) oatmeal for breakfast quite regularly. I know it has carbs and sugar but it also has a lot of dietary fiber and it is about as healthy a breakfast option as you can get.

3. Finally, I am exercising two to three times a week again. I'm proud that even on days when I'm not in the mood or when I feel too lazy or tired, I've managed to will myself to hit the gym.

Thankfully, I've achieved some tangible results in the last month and a half. I lost 4.5 kilos, more than what my doctor had initially suggested. I also slimmed down quite a bit, moving up one belt hole. This also means that I can now fit into some shirts that I haven't been able to wear in years because they had become too tight. My stamina is also getting better when I exercise; my heart rate doesn't go as high as it used to. The true test, however, will be when I complete my follow-up tests in a few months. I'm hoping the lifestyle changes I've made so far will also be reflected in these test results.

No comments: