Tuesday, November 20, 2018

A Little Night of Music

It all started with a social media post I wrote about going to a videoke place that had songs from The Greatest Showman. From there, I discovered that two of my friends - Marie and Ginia - were also friends. We decided that we should all go to a videoke place together. Then, more recently, a friend of mine told me that Rockstar, the videoke place in SM Aura, did feature some The Greatest Showman sings. Finally, I caught up with Marie and with Ginia on separate occasions recently. I told Ginia that we should push through with our plans. We finally agreed on a schedule that worked for all three of us.  As we got closer to our karaoke date, Ginia messaged us saying that a friend of hers who also happened to a friend of Marie's, was inviting her to a gig in Craft. We decided that we could spend about three hours at Rockstar before heading over to Craft.

This was the first time in almost two years that I visited a videoke place. Naturally, we sang songs from The Greatest Showman, including Rewrite the Stars, This is me, and Never Enough. However, I also tried a few other songs that I realized I want to include in my karaoke repertoire, such as Photograph and Perfect by Ed Sheeran and Stiches by Shawn Mendes. I also tried 7 Years by Lukas Graham. If you don't know this song very well, the phrasing and timing will be a bit challenging so I will make it a point to study this song so I can sing it more properly next time. Quite possibly the highlight of the evening were the two Miss Saigon duets that we performed. Marie and I sang The Last Night of the World and Ginia and I sang Sun and Moon. This was the first time that I sang Miss Saigon songs in a videoke bar and while I need to study the male part in The Last Night of the World, I thought we did a pretty decent job on both songs. Since we were in the Coldplay room, Marie said that I should sing at least one Coldplay song so I decided to go with Viva La Vida.


We had initially planned to stay there until 10pm only but we were so into it that we decided to extend one more hour. By 11pm, we headed over to Craft where Trinidad Band was playing. Ginia and Marie's friend was a sessionist who was subbing for one of the musicians that night. I hadn't heard of Trinidad Band before but the moment I heard them play, I was blown away. They had excellent musicianship and they played very well together. What's more, you could see from the way they played that music was in their veins.


I have to give special mention to their vocalist JJ Lacson. We only caught the last set but he rattled off some obscenely difficult songs such as Skid Row's I'll Remember You and Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses. Marie, Ginia, and I just kept looking at each other in sheer amazement. We called it a night at around 2AM and agreed that we should have more of these music nights.

No comments: