Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Game Nights Galore

One of my interesting accomplishments recently has been reducing the number of games I own that I hadn't played yet. I had quite a few game nights over the last few months and I had a chance to play three games and one expansion I own that I hadn't played yet.

Khan of Khans

Khan of Khans

This was the first - and so far, only - game that I got via Kickstarter. (I can't say I backed it because by the time I supported it, it was already fully funded.) This is a quick, simple, and fun party game. The goal is to have the most cows at the end of the game. You draw cards that can give you cows or allow you to take cows from other players or lose your own cows. Each player also gets to choose one of many tribes, all of which have different powers that impact game play. Finally, there is that option of putting your cows in corrals, but you only have limited corrals and you don't want to do it too early lest you run out of corrals. I really enjoy this game and as party games go, this is one of the best ones. I like it better than Exploding Kittens because all players get to play until the very end (unlike Exploding Kittens where players are knocked out one by one).

Oceanos

Oceanos

This is another quick and easy game. The objective is to score the most points through deep sea exploration. The way to score points is by collecting different underwater creatures and treasure and by upgrading your submarine. The game play is relatively simple and you can finish a game in about 30 minutes. This game is ideal for newbies and casual gamers or those who like cute artwork.

Potion Explosion and the Fifth Ingredient Expansion

I had played Potion Explosion in the past but I hadn't played the game that I bought. I hadn't previously played the Fifth Ingredient expansion though. I got it thinking that it would add a fifth player to the game but it turns out that it just adds another marble - a wild card - to the equation. I like the additional elements from the expansion. After playing this game again, I realized that it does rely on luck - I won our second game because I kept getting lucky explosions, allowing me to complete a lot potions - but I did realize that I really like this game despite the potential for slight imbalances due to luck.

Of course, there were a lot more games that I got to play. It seems that detective games are quite popular now, as I got to play three games with this theme - P.I., Sherlock Holmes, and Detective. Sherlock Holmes and Detective are quite similar, and while they are interesting to play because of the dynamics, this isn't exactly my favorite type of game. I actually liked the simpler P.I. a lot more because this game is kind of like a more sophisticated and edgy Clue.

Other new games I got to try include: Pastiche which is kinda like Fresco in that you are trying to mix paints to allow you to complete paintings, Dice Forge which has some really awesome artwork and has a cool dice modifying mechanic, Clank in Space which is a variant of Clank!, Five Tribes which my friend calls super sungka because of how you move tokens around the board, Robinson Crusoe which is a coop game, and Lowlands which kind of has a worker placement and deck building mechanic.

Lowlands

I do have a couple of game nights in December so I'm looking forward to possibly playing one or more of my unplayed games.

No comments: