Thursday, October 18, 2018

[Peru] Casa Qorikancha in Cusco

We were originally supposed to arrive in Cusco at around 7:30pm on Day 5 of our South America trip. However, because of some problem with the train, we had to get off at Ollantaytambo then take a shuttle to Cusco, which meant we arrived more than an hour later than planned. We finally checked into our hotel after 9pm. My mom and I got settled into our room first before we headed down at about 9:30pm for a late dinner. We looked at the menu of the hotel restaurant but it was obviously on the expensive side so we wanted to see if there were other cheaper dining options nearby. I thought I noticed a sign next door that looked like a restaurant sign so I told my mom I would check it out first. As it turned out, it was indeed a restaurant - Casa Qorikancha - and it was open until 10pm. I asked the manager if we could still eat there even if it was almost closing time and he said said we stil could. I hurried back to our hotel to get my mom and a few minutes later, we were comfortably seated at a table in Casa Qorikancha.


It was our fifth day in Peru and at that point, I still hadn't had ceviche so when I saw it on the menu, I ordered it immediately. We got the Ceviche de Trucha de Pumahuanca (PEN 27 or about PHP430) or Pumahuanca's Salmoned Trout Ceviche, which are fresh cuts of salmon trout served with glazed sweet potatoes and fresh corn from the Sacred Valley. This appetizer was exceptionally good!

Ceviche de Trucha de Pumahuanca or Pumahuanca's Salmoned Trout Ceviche (PEN 27)

For my main course, I ordered the Trucha En Costra De Pimienta (PEN 39 or about PHP630), which is Pepper Crusted Trout served with spinach, asparagus crispy, and shrimp in garlic sauce. I've had some really good fish dishes in my life including the ceviche we just had but I have to say, this is quite possibly the best one I've ever had.

Trucha En Costra De Pimienta or Pepper Crusted Trout (PEN 39)

I also have to say that the price of the food in Casa Qorikancha is not bad. Our appetizer was roughly P430 and my main course, which had trout and shrimp, was about P630, which is the same price range as fish dishes in good restaurants in Manila (in fact, it may even be cheaper). Given how sensationally good these two dishes were (and my mom also really enjoyed her main course which was a different trout dish), I have to say that the food here is extremely good value for money.


My mom and I enjoyed the food and the service there so much that we decided to eat there again before leaving Cusco. I initially wanted to have the same trout dishes but because we were having an early dinner at 4pm, I wanted something heavy so that it would last me until the late evening (we were checking into our hotel in Lima at close to midnight). Since we wouldn't be able to eat for many hours, I opted for the heavier Cordon Bleu. It was okay but definitely not as good as the fish dishes I previously tried. In the off-chance that I get to visit this place again and they still have the same menu, I will surely order the ceviche and the pepper crusted trout again. Casa Qorikancha is highly recommend, at the very least for its amazing trout dishes.


Casa Qorikancha is on the 2nd floor of its building complex and it is right next to Qorikancha and the Church and Convent of Santo Domingo and right across the street from Palacio del Inka Hotel.

Casa Qorikancha
https://www.facebook.com/CasaQorikancha/
109, Zetas, Cusco 08000, Peru
+51 84 231198

Next: Tunupa in Sacred Valley

No comments: