I finally got to see Tales of the Manuvu, a rock opera ballet based on Philippine folk tales and mythology. I learned about it a while back, when it was staged at the CCP back in March 2019. I was really interested to see it but I couldn't see it during its performance run. Then I saw ads of the show being staged again this year. Thankfully, its scheduled matched my availability and I got to see the matinee show on March 29.
![]() |
| Tales of the Manuvu at the Proscenium Theater |
This groundbreaking show combines classical ballet with modern dance, set to rock music performed live. It was created in 1977 through a collaboration of renowned and esteemed Filipino artists. Choreography and direction is by National Artist for Dance Alice Reyes. (She was there when we watched, although we didn't get a chance to have our photo taken with her.) The libretto is by National Artist for Literature Bienvenido Lumbera. The music is by OPM composer Dero Pedero, with additional music provided by rock band Afterbirth, and the musical arrangement is by Francis De Veyra.
The story begins with the introduction of the two gods: Manama, god of good, and Ogassi, god of evil. Manama creates Man and Woman and while Ogassi stirs trouble, Manama's creations continue to depend fully on him as they start to thrive. However, over time, the distance between heaven and earth has widened. This is because the sound of people pounding rice wakes Manama from his sleep and in his annoyance, he lifts the heavens up higher out of earshot of the noise. Without Manama's protection, Ogassi seizes his opportunity to wreak havoc by creating Makarallig, a grotesque giant that drives men and women out of their land and causes widespread destruction and death. While the people are initially confused and fearful, they learn to work together to defeat Makarallig and banish Ogassi. They realize that they can no longer depend on Manama for protection and they need to rely on themselves and the story ends in triumphant celebration.
![]() |
| The lead singers and the dancers from the UE Silanganan Dance Troupe |
While watching the show, I actually learned that one two songs that I heard back when I was in grade school are from this rock opera ballet. My grade school always organized rehearsals of the combined graduation and moving-up ceremonies for both grade school and high school. This was done over maybe a period of maybe a week or two. In one of those years, several high school students kept practicing a segment that they were performing during the event. They kept singing this song that started:
"Ang mga Manuvu ng gitnang Mindanao
May mga alamat na iniingatan
Pamana sa atin at nagsasalaysay
Tungkol sa simula ng lahat ng bagay"
This was followed by "Noong unang panahon." I loved these songs and how those high school students performed them, so much so that decades later, I actually still remember those rehearsals. When I watched Tales of the Manuvu, these two songs were performed (I got a copy of the synopsis and songs from the show and that first song I mentioned is called "Tabayannon"). I was so elated! I guess I should have figured that out since both the songs I heard in grade school use 'Manuvu' and not 'Manobo' which is how it is spelled in the title of this rock opera ballet. (I did some light research and it seems that Manuvu may actually refer to specific Manobo communities and not the entire Manobo. Either that or Manobo became the popular and widespread spelling during Spanish colonial times.) In any case, it was wonderful to rediscover these songs and hear them again. It's just such a shame that I haven't been successful in finding Tabayannon anywhere online.
I'm glad I finally got to see this show because it was absolutely great! I love how it shares the folk stories and myths of the Manuvus so more and more Filipinos can be familiar with them. The show made use of the Manuvu folk narratives that were documented by Philippine historian and social anthropologist E. Arsenio Manuel, making it quite genuine and accurate. Most of the ballets I have seen in my life showcase stories from other countries so this one feels closer to home. Of course, the performances were also superb. The dancers from the UE Silanganan Dance Troupe were dazzling, expressive, and explosive. The lead singers were all incredible and they were backed up brilliantly by the UP Concert Chorus.
![]() |
| The entire cast, including the UP Concert Chorus |
Tales of the Manuvu was staged at the new Proscenium Theater in Rockwell Makati. To be honest, I find it a bit tough to wait at its waiting area because it is quite small, with little to no seating. Food and drinks are not available here either. If you plan to watch a show here, my suggestion is for you not to head up early. You can have coffee/drinks and/or food somewhere in the Rockwell Retail area, such as at Joel's Place (which is what we did) and just go on up shortly before the doors open. That way, you can head on to your seat as soon and not have to stand amidst a crowded waiting area. Of course, if you do want to have your photo taken with the big sign of the show, you will want to spare a few minutes to do that too.
This last run was the 6th time this show has been staged in the Philippines. Hopefully, it continues to be performed in the future, not only because it's a fantastic show with amazing choreography and brilliant music but also because of its cultural and anthropological significance to the Philippines.



No comments:
Post a Comment