Wednesday, April 15, 2026

Blast from the Past: World of Survival and Age of Dinosaurs

After all these years, I got reunited with two very important parts of my childhood: complete World of Survival and Age of Dinosaurs sticker books!

World of Survival and Age of Dinosaurs

I had written before during my family's safari trip to Kenya that my brothers and I had always been huge fans of animals. We had so many books about animals as kids and we always went through the animal sections of the encyclopedias that we had at home. When I was in grade school, Figurine Panini released a sticker book called World of Survival. This book shared a wealth of knowledge about hundreds of different animals from all over the world. However, the pages of this book only included the information and details about the animals but not their pictures. People would then have to do blind buys of sticker packs to collect stickers of these animals.

The African Plains spread in World of Survival

My brothers and I all bought our fair share of stickers. Naturally, at the start, it was quite easy to fill our book with stickers. However, as we got close to completing it, we got more and more duplicates. They way to manage this was to trade stickers with our classmates and friends. This actually makes the sticker book completion journey a community experience.

The back page shares a comic strip on sticker swapping sprees

When we got close to completing our book, my mom helped us out. I'm not sure what she did but she was able to source the stickers that we still didn't have. It took some time and a lot of effort to put this book together but we finally did it. I guess being actively involved in completing our World of Survival sticker book made me more attached to it. This was such an important part of our childhood, as I'm sure it was to many other people my age.

The Philippine eagle is featured in one of the spreads

Shortly after that, Figurine Panini released another sticker book with the same set-up: Age of Dinosaurs. I think all kids - and maybe even adults? - have some kind of fascination with dinosaurs, which is probably why every Jurassic Park/World film was successful, if not wildly successful. Naturally, my brothers and I collectively worked to complete our own Age of Dinosaurs book.

The Age of Dinosaurs

I especially love the sections of those books where one photo requires multiple stickers to be completed. Naturally, there was some effort to apply these stickers very well because no one wanted the stickers to be crooked or misaligned. But it was always an achievement every time we completed one of these multi-sticker image sets.

The bottom right of this spread features a set that requires six stickers to complete

I'm just really happy that I finally found our World of Survival and Age of Dinosaurs sticker books. I actually tried looking for them a while back but I was unsuccessful. I thought that maybe over time, we had lost them. So I have my decluttering journey to thank for unearthing these fantastic, knowledge-filled treasures from our childhood. It does make me wonder, would today's kids enjoy putting together sticker books like these? Maybe not, but who knows?


The next step for me now is to re-read and enjoy these sticker books that I read so many times as a kid.

No comments: