Thursday, February 08, 2024

Renovation and Repair

Part of adulting involves doing some repairs and renovation work at home every now and then. Unfortunately for me, I got hit with a few house repair requirements at around the same time. The first and the biggest one involved by bathroom wall tiles.

My new bathroom wall tiles

It started when a small part of my wall tiles cracked and started bulging out. I asked the engineering team of my building if they could fix it but because I had mosaic tiles, there was no way to fix it and I would most likely need to replace the whole wall.

Crack in the wall

I left my wall - with its bulging tiles - as it was since I didn't really have time to sort it out. That is, until one day, the tiles started falling off! Enough tiles came off the wall that it left a section of my wall bare. I got worried that the entire wall of tiles might just suddenly detach from the wall one day and damage my bathroom floor. I decided then to have my wall tiles replaced.

Wall tiles started falling off

It took a while to find a contractor, choose the tile, and schedule and execute the renovation. Thankfully, my contractor already had experience doing renovations in the building where I live so they sorted out all the necessary permits and paperwork. I also didn't have to worry about looking for tiles because my contractor did that for me; I told him what I wanted and he looked for some samples from which I made my choice. My boss also approved my request for me to work from home while the repairs were being done. Finally, after a long journey of research, selection, preparation, and actual renovation, my bathroom wall tiles were renovated!

My bathroom after my wall tiles were removed

That wasn't all the work that I needed at home, though. I also noticed that my kitchen sink faucet started leaking. Once again, I asked building engineering to see if they could fix it but they said that my faucet already needed to be replaced. Ugh!

My leaky kitchen sink faucet needed to be replaced

Thankfully, on a trip I took to MC Home Depot, I saw some nice Moen kitchen sink faucets that were on sale. I was told by my building engineering that Moen is a good brand so I ended up getting one that was at 50% off. Our building plumber installed it for me (with a fee of course) and I'm quite happy with my choice. I love the fact that with my new faucet, the spout is higher up with more clearance from the sink. I always had to lean forward ever so slightly when washing dishes before and I always felt a bit of a strain in my back after. I don't seem to have that problem with my new faucet anymore. Cool!

New Moen faucet

As if that wasn't enough, when I had my split-type aircon cleaned recently, I was told that I needed to do a pull-down cleaning. The basic cleaning, which I have done regularly (otherwise my aircon gets clogged and starts leaking) doesn't really clean certain parts of my aircon. Pull-down cleaning is a lot more expensive but I decided to have it done because I would rather have my aircon properly and fully maintained than have bigger problems with it later on. Still, it didn't help that I had to have it done so close to so many other repairs and renovations I had at home. Nevertheless, I'm happy that I finally got everything sorted out.

No comments: