Monday, February 05, 2024

Cobra Kai!

I'm very late to the party but I am now officially a Cobra Kai fan!

A lot of people had been saying great things about Cobra Kai. It already had its own following when it was still being produced by YouTube Premium (YouTube Red when it started) but I think it expanded its reach when Netflix picked it up from YouTube Premium in 2020. However, I only subscribed to Netflix in late 2021 and by then, there were already four seasons of the show. I finished the first season in the middle of last year but it was only over the Christmas break that I finished watching the second season and became majorly hooked. 

SPOILER ALERT: Stop reading here if you plan to watch Cobra Kai but don't want to be spoiled

The big cliffhanger of season 2 is when one of the lead characters of the show, Miguel Diaz, shows mercy to Robby, his nemesis and the son of his sensei Johnny Lawrence, which results in him getting kicked off the second floor of their school. The season ends with Miguel in a coma and Johnny leaving Cobra Kai, resulting in his previous sensei John Kreese taking over. By this time, I was so emotionally invested in both Miguel and Johnny that I absolutely needed to know what would happen next. (I have to give major props to the people who watched Cobra Kai while it was still on YouTube Premium because it took two years after this cliffhanger for Season 3 to be released. That must have been a tough wait for anyone who was as emotionally invested as I was but in my case, I was able to watch the next season immediately.)

Needless to say, I blitzed through seasons 3 to 5 in just a few weeks. And I gotta say, I really, really love this show on so many levels. I know it can be a bit over-the-top and even unbelievable sometimes, like how could so many brawls happen, often with a lot of bad injuries without those kids being put in juvenile detention? How could Hawk/Eli purposely break the arm of his ex-best friend-at-the-time Demetri only for them to become best friends again shortly after that? (I figure it's possible but I would normally expect it to take much longer.) Still, I'm somehow okay with all that haha.

I also love how they brought back a lot of characters from the movies, such as Ali from The Karate Kid, Kumiko and Chozen from The Karate Kid Part II, and Terry Silver and Mike Barnes from The Karate Kid III.

The Season 5 ending was, for me, a fantastic finale, with some epic battles and a plot twist that sets the stage for even more intrigue in season 6. I loved it so much that I almost immediately watched it again after watching it the first time haha. I do want certain things to happen, like Miguel winning the Sekai Takai or having Johnny tell Miguel that he loves him like a son. That said, I won't be disappointed as long as the show continues with the same quality as the previous five seasons.

***** END OF SPOILERS *****

If it isn't obvious yet, Miguel and Johnny are my favorite characters haha and I feel it is their father figure/son and student-sensei relationship that is the heart and soul of the show. I'm such a fan of the show that I ended following a lot of the cast on Instagram and watching videos of them on YouTube. I saw this video of the cast taking a "Which Cobra Kai character are you most like?" Buzzfeed quiz. I ended up taking the same quiz myself and I was really happy that I ended up as Miguel Diza haha.


Season 6 is expected to be released later this year and sadly, it will be the last season. While I understand the tendency of audiences to want their favorite shows to keep on going, I guess there is also value in ending on a high note and not dragging on for years even if future seasons aren't as good as the earlier ones. Nevertheless, I'm really happy that I finally got around to watching Cobra Kai.

No comments: