Monday, September 18, 2023

[Japan] Hunters Bar, a Monster Hunter-Themed Restaurant

I previously mentioned that my nephew is a big Monster Hunter fan. While planning our Japan trip, he said that he would like to visit Hunters Bar, a Monster Hunter-themed restaurant in Akihabara. Since I already included a trip to this popular Tokyo district in our itinerary, it made sense for us to enjoy a meal here.

Hunters Bar in Akihabara, Tokyo

It was relatively easy to find it on Google Maps, at least up until we got to a building where we were instructed to go. One we got there, we couldn't immediately see it. I was worried that maybe it changed location and Google Maps wasn't updated but my other nephew saw a Monster Hunter poster that said Hunters Bar was on the 3rd floor. Cool!

Hunters Bar poster indicating its on the 3rd floor of the building

We headed up the elevator and got there at around 1pm. The plan was for us to have a late lunch there but apparently you need make a reservation online (via this link: https://www.tablecheck.com/en/shops/mhsb/reserve). I saw that the next available slot was at 3:30pm that same day so I booked it.

Felyne or Airu display at the entrance

My older nephew wanted to go around Akihabara so he went his own way and we just agreed to meet up at Hunters Bar at around 3pm. In the meantime, the rest of us when to get lunch. We knew we would eat again at 3:30pm but we were already hungry. We ended up eating at a Japanese barbecue place similar to the one where we had lunch in Kyoto. After lunch, we passed by a couple of shops, including the Akiba in Radio Kaikan where I ended up getting several boxes of Tokyo Banana, before heading back to Hunters Bar.

Cool Monster Hunter-themed displays

We were first in line and shortly before 3:30pm, the receptionist called us, gave us some instructions on how to order food and drinks and gave us our table number. The interior of this restaurant is really cool, especially if you are a fan of the game. We were seated at an alcove that felt cozy and gave us a bit more privacy. Next to us were some character costumes along with the Great Sword, which is the weapon my nephew and my mom used when we did the XR Walk at Universal Studios Japan, and the Hammer, which my other nephew used.

Costumes and weapons on display next to our table

Speaking of which, one of the coolest parts of Hunters Bar was a wall which displayed the different Monster Hunter weapons, including the long sword which I used.

Monster Hunter weapons

You can find lots of characters all around the restaurant. There were also several large screens mounted on the walls that showed videos of the game.

Malfiesto, a Bird Wyvern introduced in Monster Hunter Generations

Since most of us had just eaten, we didn't really order a lot of food. However, my older nephew spent all his time going around Akihabara and hadn't eaten yet so he ordered a lot. We got the Egg Pizza (which is meant to resemble the head of the Yian Kut-Ku), Spicy roast beef that is designed to look like the Tail of the Legendary Dragon, and a Large order of French Fries...

Egg Pizza, Spicy Roast Beef, and French Fries

...as well as the Roaring Wyvern Tail Steak and a Well-Done steak (this steak, when eaten in the game, increases your stamina).

Roaring Wyvern Tail Steak and a Well-Done Steak

We also ordered drinks: Kagero's Original Drink, Master Utsushi's Original Drink, Nargacuga's Original Drink, and Oolong Tea. Sadly for me, Hunters Bar doesn't serve coffee so I instead ordered Oolong tea.

L-R: Kagero's Original Drink, Master Utushi's Original Drink, Nargacuga's Original Drink, and Oolong Tea

I also ordered dessert: Kirin's Lightning G-Rank Parfait. It was a lot bigger than I expected so I ended up sharing it with my family. It was really good!

Kirin's Lightning G-Rank Parfait

On our last day in Tokyo, my nephew asked if we could have dinner at Hunters Bar again. Apparently, you can bring your Nintendo Switch and play a Monster Hunter game while you're there so my nephew wanted to do that. (If you do well, you can actually get a discount voucher for your next visit. My nephew did but we were leaving Japan the next day so we didn't get to use our discount haha.) We also wanted to try some of their other dishes that we didn't get to try the first time. This included Three-Color Dumpling (or Dango) and Chicken Belly Meat Steak (we also got the Well-Done Steak again).

Three-Color Dumpling (Dango), Chicken Belly Meat Steak, and Well-Done Steak

We also ordered a few desserts. The parfait I ordered was a hit so we got that again, as well as the Velkhana Ice-White Cremet d'Anjou...

Velkhana Ice-White Cremet d'Anjou

...and the Gargwa Egg Catalana.

Gargwa Egg Catalana

The dining experience here is made even better by the fact that everyone gets a random Monster Hunter coaster souvenir and a jerky-like fish snack.

My free coaster souvenir and fish snack with a cute fox design

Another bonus for Monster Hunter fans is that each time you eat here, you earn points. (They gave us a stamp card the first time we ate there.) You can claim gifts. On both visits, my nephews were able to get Monster Hunter cards because of the points we earned.

Monster Hunter memorabilia

While it was my older nephew who was the true fan of this game (my younger nephew was also familiar with the game but not as big a fan), our experience at the Monster Hunter World: Iceborne XR Walk as a family made our visits to Hunters Bar even more enjoyable. My mom and I became familiar with the characters and the weapons, and it gave us a wonderful experience here. If my family ever gets to visit Tokyo again, I'm pretty sure we will visit Hunters Bar again.

Next: Dinner and a Mini-Reunion at Gonpachi Nishi-Azabu

No comments: