Friday, September 29, 2023

[Japan] Travel Tips to Osaka and Tokyo

Navigating the train system in Japan takes some getting used to. Part of the confusion is that in Japan, you have a combination of subways and the train lines above ground which sometimes share the same station. Once I kinda understood this (and it took a while for me to figure that out), I was more able to figure out how to get to where we wanted to go.

Stained glass installation at the Ginza Metro Station

How to travel from Osaka to Nara

This was my first challenge. I tried searching online how to go to Nara and I kept seeing that you can take the 35-minute limited rapid express from Osaka-Namba to Kintetsu Nara Station. However, looking at the Osaka Subway map, I couldn't find the Osaka-Namba station. Now that I know a bit more, it's because the Osaka-Namba station is not part of the Osaka Subway. However, it is connected to the Namba subway station which is on the Sennichimae Line and the Midosuji line. As such, if you want to go to Nara by subway and train, go to the Namba station. Once there, find your way to the Osaka-Namba station (there are signs that will help you figure this out) and from there, take the 35-minute limited rapid express. (Here are a couple of articles I found that might help you: https://livejapan.com/en/in-kansai/in-pref-osaka/in-namba_dotonbori_shinsaibashi/article-a2000323/ and https://www.the-kansai-guide.com/en/article/item/16325/.) 


Quick note: on the trip from Osaka to Nara and back from Nara to Osaka, we managed to get on the rapid express, which takes 35 minutes because it skips most stops. I am not sure if all trains from Osaka to Nara and back are limited rapid express or if there are some trains that stop at every station. I'm not quite sure how you can check which train is rapid express or not so I'm just happy that we actually got on it both ways.

Display at the Ginza Metro Station

How to get from Osaka to Kyoto

This trip was a bit easier to figure out. To get to Kyoto, we took the rapid train from the Shin-Osaka station (which is also an Osaka Subway station) to Kyoto. We had the option of taking the Shinkansen, or bullet train, which costs 1,420 yen and takes only 15 minutes. However, the special rapid train costs only 560 yen and takes between 24 to 29 minutes. I figured I would save a lot of money (I was paying for four people so that would have been a 3,440 yen price difference each way) so we decided to take the rapid train since an extra 9 to 14 minutes of travel time wouldn't be too bad. You can read more about traveling from Osaka to Kyoto in this link: https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/osaka-to-kyoto.

Samurai sword display at the Samurai and Ninja Museum (photo taken by my nephew)

More tips

Here is a wonderful link to use: http://www.hyperdia.com/sp/. This site helps you figure out how to get from one train station to another. My friend JM shared it with me and said that it works for all train, railway, and subway/metro stations in Japan. I used it in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo and I know that it works in each of these cities. All you do is select the station where you are starting and the station where you are going and the site will give you several suggestions how to get there, as well as the expected travel time to reach your destination for each option. It was pretty cool!

Crystal of Light by Tokujin Yoshioka on display at the Ginza Metro station

I also used Google Maps quite heavily to help me figure out how to get around. It is quite accurate and updated in Japan. On Google Maps, I would select the train option and it would tell me how to walk to the nearest station, at which station to get off, and how to get from that station to where we wanted to go. As far as I can recall, it worked every time.


If you plan to visit Shibuya Sky to get incredible views of the city, I have two recommendations. First, select your timeslot and purchase your tickets online at their official website. Purchasing online gives you a 300 yen discount per ticket. It's important to note that  if you buy same-day tickets at Shibuya Sky directly, there is a chance that no more slots are available (that's what happened to us), which means you might have to buy tickets for a future day instead anyway. Second, try to get a slot maybe half an hour or so before sunset and stay there until after the sun goes down. That way, you get to see Tokyo while the sun is still up and also at night, which is a completely different view and experience. You can also try to get a table and enjoy some drinks while you are there.

Atop the Shibuya Sky Roofdeck

Lake Kawaguchiko is a great place to see Mt. Fuji. If you do plan to go here and you are taking the train, make sure you buy tickets from Lake Kawaguchiko back to Tokyo as soon as you arrive. These tickets run out very fast and if you are unable to get tickets, you might end up like me and my family, where we had to stand or sit on the floor of the train because seats were no longer available. (That was certainly not a pleasant experience.) I used this link as a reference guide: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html.

A glimpse of Mt. Fuji at the Lake Kawaguchiko train station

However, when I was in Lake Kawaguchiko, I discovered that there are actually many options to get from Tokyo to Lake Kawaguchiko via bus, including from Tokyo Station (which is where our hotel was). Because I didn't know this, we had to travel to the Shinjuku station which cost us time. I searched online about this after my trip so you can read more about these bus options in this link:  https://japanbusonline.com/en/AreaSearch2/3130000/4194301001.

The beautifully serene Lake Kawaguchiko

This should almost go without saying but if you are going to Universal Studios Japan, try to get Fast Pass. These Fast Passes go very quickly, especially since you need one to get into Super Nintendo World which people have said is the best area in USJ, so try to buy these tickets early.

Jujutsu Kaisen: The Real 4-D attraction at Universal Studios Japan

The Disney Resorts - DisneySea and Tokyo Disneyland - also have a FASTPASS. To buy Tokyo Disney tickets, you need to create an account at their website.

Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySea

The Tokyo Disney theme parks and Universal Studios Japan both have apps that give you directions on how to get around. They also provide waiting times at each of the different attractions in these theme parks. (Disney Resort app: https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tdr/app.html. Universal Studios Japan app: https://www.usj.co.jp/web/en/us/enjoy/app.)

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Japan

For the first time, I used Klook to rent pocket wifi devices that I would use in Japan. I picked it up at the Osaka Kansai airport and I returned it by dropping it into a post office mailbox at the Narita Airport. I decided to use Klook instead of renting travel wifi here in the Philippines because the Klook option was cheaper. The kit I rented came with a pocket wifi device, a power bank, and a voice translator which we tested while we were at the hotel - it works! - but we never really used it. I'm also happy that I rented two pocket wifi devices instead of just one because it meant that my family and I could split up into two groups and we could still easily communicate with each other while we were out.

My Japan Wireless pocket wifi kit from Klook

If you are buying items in Japan from the same store worth at least 5,500 yen, ask about the Tax Free option. Note however that if you are buying food tax-free, they will seal it in a bag and you can't eat it until you leave Japan. (That said, they didn't really check it at the airport.) Just make sure you have your passport with you when asking for the tax-free option. Also, if you buy items at the airport, I think everything is tax free even if you spend less than 5,500 yen.

Mitsukoshi Ginza

If you are going to include a meal at Gonpachi Nishi-Azabu while you are in Tokyo, try to schedule it on a Sunday night and select either the 6-8pm or 8-10pm so you can enjoy the Taiko drum performance. (RenKa was performing while we were there but in the past, they featured other bands.)

RenKa taiko drum band performing at Gonpachi Nishi-Azabu

Nakamise, the short road that leads to Senso-Ji Temple, is a great place for buying souvenirs. We purchased most of our souvenirs here. There are also some really souvenirs, such as magnets and Hachiko-themed items at Shibuya Scramble Square and Shibuya Sky.

Hachiko stuffed toy

The Akiba at Radio Kaikan is a great place to buy food items, either for you to eat or to bring back home with you when you leave Japan. They sell Tokyo Banana and Tokyo Banana Cookie/Chocolate Sandwiches, including the Pokemon design which I didn't see anywhere else.

Akihabara

Many people suggested getting JR Pass. Before you get one, I suggest you do some math to see if you will actually save money by getting one. I didn't get one for me and my family though because I computed it and felt that we actually would spend less for individual JR tickets, including our Shinkansen trip from Osaka Tokyo. You can read more about, and order, the JR Pass here: https://www.jrpass.com.

Arashiyama Bamboo Grove

Finally, if you are taking the Narita Express from Tokyo Station to Narita Airport, I recommend that you get your tickets early, especially if you have a flight in the morning. The earliest Narita Express leaves Tokyo Station at around 630am I believe. We got one at around 7:20am I think. It takes 2 hours to get to the Narita Airport and it stops at Terminals 1 and 2. If you are flying via Terminal 3 like we did, it is very easy to just walk there from Terminal 2. (I think it took just 5 minutes.)

Next: Final Thoughts on my Family Trip to Japan

No comments: