Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Fitting into my old new suit

My friend and ex-colleague Mitchell invited me to his wedding. The invitation specifically asked the men to come in a black suit. This caused me a bit of anxiety because I had only one good black suit; the previous two I had were a bit ill-fitting now because I had lost weight since I got them. The problem with my good black suit is that I had it tailor-made right before the pandemic, when I was at my thinnest in 10 years. I am still about 2 kilos away from my pre-pandemic weight so I was worried that the suit wouldn't fit me. I tried to go on a bit of a diet shortly before the wedding by eating a lot more salad but I didn't seem to lose any weight haha. Thankfully, on the day of Mitchell's wedding, I was able to fit into my suit, albeit very tightly. Still, I could close all the buttons and I could even sit! Hooray!


Mitchell's wedding ceremony was held at the Shrine of Jesus - The Way, The Truth, and The Life in SM MOA. There was threat of rain that day so it was cloudy but that also meant that it wasn't too hot inside the church.


After the ceremony and the pictorial, it started to rain a bit. Thankfully, there is a covered walkway from SMX (which is just across the street from the church) all the way to Conrad Manila, where the reception was held. There were a couple of hours between the church ceremony and the reception so cocktails were laid out for the guests to while away the time. While we were enjoying coffee and snacks, one of the wedding coordinators approached me to ask me if I could say the prayer before dinner. The coordinator didn't explain to me why I was being asked last minute but I just said yes.


(That actually wasn't the first time I was asked to come up with and lead a prayer at the last minute. The first time that happened, I was hosting my friends' wedding reception and even singing a couple of songs. I was stressed enough as it was so when I was asked to come up with a prayer, I ended up with something that felt too short and didn't really have any impact. I think I learned my lesson from that because this time, I was able to calmly prepare what I felt was a good prayer. And no, I didn't ask Chat GPT or Google to prepare it for me haha.)


It was a lovely wedding, with beautiful speeches and an abundance of delicious food. The experience was made even better by the fact that several of our ex-colleagues were there so it felt like a mini-reunion. I'm also really pleased that I managed to fit into my suit and that I finally got to wear it after I had made right more than three years ago! I do think that I need to lose about 2 more kilos to fit into it comfortably. Hopefully, I can achieve that before I get invited to another wedding haha.

No comments: