Sunday, May 28, 2023

Tina Turner: The Legend, The Icon

Tina Turner, the Queen of Rock and Roll, has passed away.

I obviously did not know Tina personally so her passing didn't affect me in the same way the recent losses of my grandmother and my cousins did. Still, it had a profound effect on me because I looked up to Tina on so many levels. She was an unparalleled performer. Her voice was strong, unique, and powerful. When she danced on stage, her joy was unbridled and infectious and everyone watching her could feel it. She connected with audiences in a way that only authentic artists can. Her presence demanded attention and her energy was off-the-charts. Even later in her career, Tina was an absolute force. Here is one of my favorite performances of hers from Wembley in 2000. She was 60 at this time!

What makes all this even more amazing is the fact that Tina didn't do drugs or alcohol. She talked about it when she accepted an Essence Award in 1993. What you saw on stage was her through and through. She was truly peerless and fearless! I still can't believe that in one of her concerts, she ran across an elevated walkway seemingly without a harness and in high heels! Check it out here. Also, one of her most iconic photos was this one, taken by Peter Lindbergh at the Eiffel Tower. Wow!

As if all that wasn't enough, I find it truly inspiring how she overcame personal tragedy that threatened her life and well-being. Tina suffered abuse from her then-husband Ike Turner. How she managed to perform spectacularly while being a victim of domestic violence is beyond me. She eventually saved herself from that abusive relationship. She left the marriage with nothing - no money, no royalties - except her stage name (her real name is Anna Mae Bullock) and from there, she started again. Despite losing everything she had financially prior to her divorce from Ike, she managed to build a spectacular career that spanned decades. Tina's life story was made into a movie aptly entitled "What's Love Got to Do with It" that starred Angela Bassett and there is a powerful and heart-rending scene there that dramatizes how Tina left Ike. You can watch it here.

One of my regrets is that I never got to watch her perform live. Thankfully, there are countless videos of amazing Tina Turner performances, songs, and interviews that will allow me to continue appreciating her immense talent and be entertained by her even now that she's gone. Rest in peace, Tina Turner!

No comments: