Sunday, December 12, 2021

[Throwback] Experiences and Memories in Athens

My original plan was for us to stay in Athens for 2 full days. In fact, I had already booked our flights so that we would fly out 3 days after we arrived. However, when I shared this plan with my mom, she said that one day should be enough. Thankfully, the airline - KLM - agreed to rebook our flights from Athens to Paris a day earlier at no additional cost (I guess airlines were a lot more lenient then; today, many flights won't allow rebooking or they will require the passenger to pay a rebooking fee). I also remember sorting this out just over the phone. Thankfully, KLM customer service was extremely helpful. I didn't even have a print-out of this confirmation but we didn't run into any issues during our departure.

Me at the Theatre of Dionysus

Unlike our stint in Rome, we did get to enjoy a Greek meal here. I honestly don't remember what I ordered but I remember eating at a restaurant that was quite near the Acropolis.

The Parthenon at the Acropolis

That said, we also had our fair share of fast food meals, specifically McDonald's. The most interesting thing we ordered here was the Greek Mac, which is the Greek version of the Big Mac. It has the same contents - two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions - but served in pita bread instead of in a sesame seed bun. Pretty cool! I'm not sure if this item is still available now.

Passing through the National Garden in Athens

Our visit to Athens also happened around the time of the Athens Olympics so there was a lot of Olympic merchandise there. I bought myself a nice shirt which I have since donated to charity. I'm now kinda regretting that move and I wish that I kept it and gave a different item of clothing instead. This is what it looked like:

A rare pic of me wearing my Athens Olympics shirt

My mom did get a mug that we still have at home. We also bought a few more souvenirs including a refrigerator magnet that we also still have.

Temple of Olympian Zeus

Next: France (Paris and Lourdes)

No comments: