Sunday, November 28, 2021

[Throwback] Rome Landmarks

I can't quite recall what time we arrived in Rome but it must have been after lunch. We checked into our hotel and it was only in the late afternoon that we had a chance to go around. Since it was already quite late, we decided to visit the Trevi Fountain. I didn't know what it looked like but I remember being completely astonished the moment I saw it. It was massive and a lot more magnificent than I had expected! The statues were so beautifully and expertly sculpted.

Trevi Fountain

The tradition here is to throw a coin into the fountain over your right shoulder using your left hand. If you do this, it is said that you would find your way back to Rome. I didn't quite know what the details were so while I tossed a coin into the fountain, I don't think I did it the right way. Maybe that's why I haven't been back haha. (That said, I have been planning for a return trip for a while now so hopefully that plan comes to fruition soon!)


Our first stop the next day was the Vatican Museums which includes the Sistine Chapel. While we planned to go to St. Peter's Basilica the next day for Christmas, I think the Vatican Museums wouldn't be open that day. I was very happy I got to see the Sistine Chapel, including its well-renowned ceiling painted by Michelangelo. Unfortunately, photos inside aren't allowed (although I know some people still sneak in a shot or even a video). The only photo I was able to take in the Vatican museum was this beautiful stained glass panel (my research now tells me it might be Madonna Enthroned by Giuseppe Bertini).

Stained Glass Panel inside the Vatican Museums

Next up was the Pantheon. This structure used to be a Roman temple before being turned into a Catholic church. It is supposed to have the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome.

Pantheon

We then made a quick stop at the Victor Emmanuel II Monument to take photos. This structure has also been called "The Typewriter" because of its supposed resemblance to a typewriter. (I can kind of see it haha.)

Victor Emmanuel II Monument

We then headed to the Colosseum. Unfortunately, it was closed when we got there. I think there mmay have been renovations or repairs being done at the time. Because of this, we were only able to take photos from the outside.

Colosseum

Beside the Colosseum is the Arch of Constantine, which was built in honor of Emperor Constantine the Great.

Arch of Constantine

On our final day, we got to see a few more places. First was Castel Sant'Angelo, which is just a short walk from the Vatican. We didn't go inside but we did take a couple of photos outside.

Castel Sant'Angelo

Our next stop was Piazza Navona. The most significant point of interest here is the famous Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi or Fountain of the Four Rivers designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. While not as grand as the Trevi Fountain, it was still very awe-inspiring.

Fountain of the Four Rivers in Piazza Navona

The last place we visited in Rome was the Spanish Steps. It seems that this landmark gets its name from the Spanish Embassy which is located there. These steps became famous when they were featured in the film Roman Holiday starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.

Spanish Steps

Next: Vatican City

No comments: