Saturday, October 30, 2021

Travel Shows and Remembering Russia

A couple of weeks ago, my mom switched the channel to watch Executive Class and as luck would have it, the show was featuring Russia. In fact, when my mom switched the channel, host David Celdran was in Komsomolskaya station and I recognized it immediately (I even knew the name!). This episode focused on Moscow so naturally, we watched it because it reminded us of our trip to Russia many years ago. It was really interesting and nostalgic to see all these places my mom and I visited. My grandmother was watching with us and I would show her pictures I took of the places we were seeing on TV.

Komsomolskaya Metro Station in Moscow

Interestingly enough, two episodes of Executive Class were shown one after the other, and the second one featured on St. Petersburg. My mom would share things she remembered, like how the Amber Room in Catherine's Palace was looted and rebuilt and how someone was assassinated at the spot where the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood was built (it was Emperor Alexander II). David Celdran even went into the Eliseyev Emporium and I reminded my mom that we actually went into this place and that she bought a small bottle of vodka here. (She remembered it too!)

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg

Executive Class was followed by another travel-related show. My grandmother said she wanted to watch it but after several minutes, this show turned started to focused a lot more on the geology of the are and we became less interested. I decided to search for travel shows on Netflix so my grandmother could see something more to her liking. We ended up watching an episode of Magical Andes that featured Peru and Ecuador. We then watched the first episode of Joanna Lumley's Japan and it was really good.

Last weekend, we ended up doing the same thing. Executive Class featured Israel and once it was over, we watched a couple of episodes of Joanna Lumley's Trans-Siberian Adventure. Episode 1 featured Hong Kong and China and episode 2 featured Mongolia and Siberia.

It's really interesting that we ended up watching a few travel shows on Russia in the last few weeks while I am reading A Gentleman in Moscow. As I am almost done reading it, I will be writing about it next.

No comments: