Sunday, August 30, 2020

Sweet Tooth

I recently got to try a few new sweets from different places. First is the Decadent Chocolate Cake from Big AL's Cookie Jar (IG: https://www.instagram.com/bigalscookiejar).


This was voted as the #1 best chocolate cake in Manila in 2019 so I had been wanting to try it for about a year already. However, I felt the ordering process provided on their Instagram account was a bit too tedious so I never got around to trying it. That it, until a friend of mine told me that they have stores in Sikatuna Village QC, Makati, and Antipolo and these all accept walk-in customers. I was able to pass by one of their stores recently and I bought their Birthday-size Decadent Chocolate Cake (9"x12") which costs P1,100. It's really good and my family and I really enjoyed it but I'm not quite sure I'd rank it as the best chocolate cake in Metro Manila. 


Still on cakes: I tried the Ube Cake of Your Personal Baker (IG: https://www.instagram.com/yourpersonalbaker.ph/, facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yourpersonalbaker.ph/), which is owned by a friend of mine. I think she went into the baking business because her previous business was significantly affected by the quarantine. She started out by selling Lemon Tortes which I do plan to try but when my nephew said he wanted an ube cake for his birthday, I immediately remembered that Your Personal Baker also sells Ube Cakes. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to hit two birds with one stone - I could get the cake my nephew wanted and I could give my friend some business. I'm pretty happy I did because their Ube Cake is really good! It's moist, light, not too sweet, and with really good ube flavor. My grandmother even said it was like she was eating ice cream.

To optimize the Lalamove delivery fee, I decided to also order a box of Chocolate Chip Cookies from Your Personal Baker along with the ube cake. The box contains 16 cookies and while they are large diameter-wise, they aren't too thick, making them easy to eat. Which is a problem because I ended up eating 4 cookies in one sitting. Yikes! 😆 Obviously, I wouldn't have eaten that many in one sitting if they weren't good. At only P320 per box, this is really great value for your money.


Still on cookies: I also got to try Homura Bake (IG: https://www.instagram.com/homurabake/) A friend of mine featured Homura Bake in his story and their cookies kinda intrigued me. Their Liege Gooey Classic contains Belgian Chocolates and cashews, something you don't often find in cookies. I decided to buy a box of these...


...as well as a box of their Salted Caramel Walnut cookies. While I think I may have like their Salted Caramel Walnut just a tad better, I actually enjoyed both cookies.


Finally, I got to try best boat tarts from My Lola's Cookies which to me are the best boat tarts I've ever had, bar none. My friend who is related to the owner sent me a couple of boxes because she purchased a lot of them to help her relatives. Their website describes these tarts as having "3 different component: a flaky crust, gooey caramel, and crisp meringue, all baked at different times". I was surprised at how much I enjoyed these. When I got them, I said I would just eat one and I ended up eating 3 and had to force myself to stop. 😂 One box is P340 but I gotta say, it's really worth it.


The challenge now is that I've been eating a lot of sugar and I haven't been exercising. I failed to work-out this last week because I was rushing several deadlines. Not good. Thankfully, it's a holiday tomorrow so I need to really will myself to exercise again.

No comments: