Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Family trip to Singapore

I took my family to Singapore recently. We stayed there for three days and three nights - the initial plan was to do two nights only but based on flight schedules, I felt we needed an extra day to have a more enjoyable trip. I've done a lot of traveling in my life but this is the first time I went to another country with four generations of my family, which is really cool.

Another first for me in this trip was being able to see the inside of the cockpit of our plane. I asked one of the flight attendants if my nephews could check out the cockpit and she said that we could once the plane landed. So upon landing, we waited for everyone to alight from the plane and the flight attendant gave us a few minutes inside the cockpit and allowed us to take a few photos.


I decided to book rooms in the Royal Plaza on Scotts. My friend Me-Ann recommended this hotel because of its free mini-bar and free coffee (Nespresso!!) and its location is perfect (it's a 3-minute walk from the Orchard MRT and has a 24-hour McDonald's and 24-hour Starbucks right outside). Both of my grandparents are more than 80 years old so location was a key consideration when deciding where we would stay. Also, my grandfather doesn't really want to travel anymore - he wanted to bail at the last minute but decided it would be a waste of plane fare and a Universal Studios ticket - so I wanted to make this trip as comfortable as possible. Plus, the cost of the room is very reasonable for a 5-star hotel in Singapore. Here's a photo of our hotel lobby:


With a group like ours, it would be extremely difficult to see more than a couple of sights per day, so we selected just a few places to visit that my entire family could enjoy. Here is what our itinerary looked like:

Day 1 - Universal Studios
Day 2 - Singapore Zoo, Suntec City, and the Merlion
Day 3 - Marina Bay Sands (for the view)

I'll be writing more about our trip in the next few blog posts.

No comments: