Sunday, February 13, 2011

Singapore: Day 3

A trip to Marina Bay Sands was reserved for our final day in Singapore.

Before making our way to this fairly new hotel in Singapore that was featured in the most recent season of the Amazing Race Asia, we were treated to a lion and dragon dance in the lobby of our hotel during breakfast (this was part of the Chinese New Year celebrations). I went out to take some photos, during which time the lion started throwing fruits and vegetables from its mouth towards the crowd. I caught a ponkan which apparently means I will have good fortune this year. Cool!

Marina Bay Sands has become popular because of the Sands SkyPark at the roof of the hotel which offers amazing views of Singapore.

My nephews even took in the views through a couple of telescopes (it costs $1 to use the telescope for a few minutes).

Hotel guests are allowed to go to the Skypark and swim in the negative edge pools for free. (Note: I think most people call these infinity pools, but I have been told that an infinity pool is one that gives the illusion that it stretches out into a larger body of water. The ones here are more appropriately called negative edge pools since they don't meet the definition of an infinity pool but they do give the impression that they are missing an edge.)

Guests can pay $20 ($14 for kids below 12, $17 for senior citizens) to visit the SkyPark. We can't use the pool, though, and we are allowed to see only a portion of it. We made the most of it by taking lots of photos.

Before heading back to our own hotel (we had a late afternoon flight), we took some photos at the Sands lobby. This being the year of rabbit meant lots of giant rabbit designs all over Singapore, and I took a photo of my grandparents with these golden rabbits.

I guess seeing the Marina Bay Sands pool made my nephews want to go swimming. We had some time to spare (thankfully, our hotel gave us a late check-out time of 2pm) so once we got back to the Royal Plaza on Scotts, my nephews hit the pool for about half an hour.

We got cleaned up and had a late lunch in The Canteen in Shaw Centre (which was right next to our hotel). This restaurant provides a wide variety of Asian and Continental food. A lot of the reviews in the link I provided are quite negative but my family and I thought the food was pretty good and reasonably priced (the service was also decent). We then headed to the airport for our trip back home, but not before buying a few items in the duty free shops at the airport.

This was definitely a wonderful holiday that was made more memorable by the fact that four generations of my family got to visit another country.

No comments: