Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Singapore: Day 1

Universal Studios was our main purpose of traveling to Singapore so headed there on our first day out.


It was a Sunday so we heard mass first. My friends Che and Anna directed me to veritas.org.sg and catholic.org.sg where I was able to get info on mass schedules. We caught the 1030am mass in the Church of the Sacred Heart on Tank Road. After the mass, we walked over to the bus station in Dhoby Ghaut and caught a double decker bus to Vivo City.

My nephew CJ loves crab and my family enjoys Chinese food so we had lunch in No Signboard to make sure that our experience would include enjoying some of the dishes Singapore is known for. Chili Crab - a Singapore classic - is too spicy for my family so we had the Ginger and Spring Onion crab instead. We also ordered the Crispy Cereal Prawns (another SG classic), sweet and sour pork, noodles, spring rolls, and yang chow fried rice. It was more than enough for all six of us and cost about SG$150 (or about $25 per person). Which was a pleasant surprise since I was told to expect about SG$50 per person for a meal here.

The main event that day was of course Universal Studios Singapore. My grandmother, mom, and CJ took the Sentosa Express but my grandfather and other nephew Ciera wanted to ride the cable car so they could enjoy the amazing view.


Once we arrived, we were greeted by a lot of characters from Universal studios like Kung Fu Panda,


Frankenstein,


and Woody Woodpecker.


My nephews didn't fancy the carousel ride in Madagascar so we moved on to Far Far Away for the Shrek-themed attractions.


We got on Enchanted Airways, a mini roller coaster ride that was actually a lot more fun and thrilling than I expected it to be considering its size. We also tried the Shrek 4-D Adventure and the Donkey Live show.


Most of our time in Universal Studios was spent in The Lost World. My nephews wanted to try the Amber Rock Climb. You need to pay an extra fee if you want scale the wall filled with fossil and skeleton designs that double as hand and footholds. Both my nephews enjoyed it so much though that they climbed the wall twice. They actually have the photos and certificates to prove that they got to the top! :)


It was getting dark by the time we finished at the Amber Rock Climb so I didn't have time to get on the Canopy Flyer since it was more important for us to try the Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure. Getting splashed and soaked while on a raft that goes through a river ride lined with awesome animatronic dinosaurs is a lot of fun! So much so that as soon as the ride was over, we got on it again. :)

Due to Chinese New Year, operating hours were extended from 7pm to 9pm which gave us an opportunity to get on one more ride in Ancient Egypt.


My mom and my grandparents decided to go shopping for souvenirs since it was almost closing time. Meanwhile, I took my nephews on the Revenge of the Mummy, an indoor roller coaster that plunges its passenger into total darkness. We got a copy of the coaster photo and it was so funny to see my horror-filled face and my eyes shut tight while both my nephews seemed fairly comfortable and even had their eyes open during the ride LOL.

The shops were still open so I went through the shops along Hollywood to get some souvenirs myself. It was already past 9pm so we decided to stay for the fireworks display at 930pm. It was a great way to end the night.


The taxi queue in Vivo City was horrifically long so we decided to just take the MRT - thank God our hotel was just right next to Orchard Station! - and since we all hadn't had dinner yet, we had a really late meal in the 24-hour McDonald's just outside our hotel. Gotta say, the decision to stay at the Royal Plaza on Scotts due to its location was paying off.

No comments: