Friday, April 30, 2021

Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

 I just finished reading my first book this year: Before the Fall by Noah Hawley.

This novel centers around a struggling artist who, along with a four-year-old boy, survives a plane crash. This miraculous tale of survival and heroism gets turned on its head by the fact that all other passengers and crew perished. What started out as a story of inspiration slowly and insidiously turns into one of intrigue and innuendo.

While this book is classified as a suspense thriller, I found it to have a relaxed and easy pace. The writing switches back and forth between the present and the past, allowing the reader to learn more about the passengers and the crew which in turn this strengthens the reader's desire to know what caused the crash. That said, the climax was pretty intense and unexpected, and as I finished reading, I was left wanting to know more. Which is a sign of a great story: you get so emotionally invested in the characters that you want to know what happens to them after.

Now that I finished my first book of 2021, I'm hoping that I have gained enough momentum to keep on reading.

No comments: