Monday, November 30, 2020

Vizco's Strawberry Shortcake

I have a new favorite: Vizco's Strawberry Shortcake!

Vizco's Strawberry Shortcake

I first learned about this cake (and Vizco's) because of the IWanT TFC film Glorious. I then read about it again on social media when someone was asking for strawberry shortcake recommendations and some netizens swore by it. Since Vizco's is based in Baguio, I didn't really have an opportunity to try it. That is, until I started seeing Manila-based resellers of cakes from Vizco's as well as other Baguio shops. I'm guessing these resellers started sprouting up during the pandemic to help stores in Baguio survive; these stores must have been losing a lot of income because people couldn't visit anymore. Since people couldn't go to them, the resellers would bring their products to the people.

When I saw ads for the Vizco's Strawberry Shortcake, I asked my friends if any of them had tried it before. One of them did and she said that while buying it from a reseller is expensive - after all, they do come from Baguio - she thought it was worth it. The margins that these resellers add are quite substantial but if you compare the Vizco's cake price with other Strawberry Shortcakes in Manila, it's in the same range. As such, I decided to give it a try.

And I'm so glad I did.


This is now my favorite strawberry shortcake and one of my favorite cakes of any kind. The cake itself is light and fluffy and I think they infuse it with strawberry syrup because it's pink and has a lot of flavor. The icing is delicious and not too sweet . There is also a generous serving of strawberries on top and the strawberry syrup ties everything together really well. If I wasn't concerned about eating too much sugar, I could probably eat several slices - or heck, maybe even the whole cake! - in one sitting. My family and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to order it again soon after we tried it the first time. I also ordered one as a gift for one of my friends who has been extra generous to me.

There are a couple of resellers that I have been in contact with for my Vizco's Strawberry Shortcake orders in Manila: Love, Strawberry and Gelikdrei Store. I communicated with both via messenger and they are both pretty responsive. They also provide delivery services. Gelikdrei Store offers a lower price but Love, Strawberry often has promos.

If you're looking for really good strawberry shortcake, I highly recommended this one from Vizco's.

No comments: